Guys, is there hope for college students like me?

In summary, the person is looking for a job that pays decently, has a good math/phys background, and is not dangerous or illegal. He suggests internships and sales jobs as possible routes to finding a job.
flyingpig
I need a job, like not just minimum wage jobs like cashiers or being a security guard. I don't have any degrees because I am still a college student.

I need a "stable" job that can pay decently so I won't end up on the street. I am of course with a good math/phys background. I tried applying as a TA at my university, but the limited hours make it not worth it (12 hours per week at most, $15 per hour). I am also planning to live on my own, I am not a huge fan of roommates because I am afriad of

1. Stealing things
2. He/she bringing people to the house
3. Make the washroom dirty or keep it occupied
4. Will probably make my home dirty and is not willing to clean.

The rents at where I live can cost up to and probably more than $2000 (and we are only talking about flats with one room)

Got any ideas what kind of jobs I can get? Please nothing illegal or dangerous or anything that may strip my dignity as a human being...

I am guy be the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you any good at sales? You can make good money doing sales.

And this should probably be moved to career guidance...

Depending what you are going to school for, you should try to get an internship or something similar to help get your foot in the door. It may not pay as much as you want as quickly as you would like, but it will pay off in the long run as you are gaining expirience and putting in you time, paying your dues.

mailman's kid said:
Depending what you are going to school for, you should try to get an internship or something similar to help get your foot in the door. It may not pay as much as you want as quickly as you would like, but it will pay off in the long run as you are gaining expirience and putting in you time, paying your dues.

What internship?

I believe Starbucks offers insurance to part-time employees, and the pay is decent after tips are considered. Do you have any golf courses nearby? My financial adviser worked at a nice course for a few years and made quite a bit of money hauling around clubs for rich folk.

Being a college student sucks, you're going to have to take what you can get. Having roommates isn't THAT bad. It's also an AWFUL time in the economy and people aren't giving people $30/hour for what basically is a high school education

I apparently had great roommates, except for one who whined a lot after he got dumped by his girlfriend from high school. Otherwise, he was a good roommate, who let me play his Rickenbacker base!

I would suggest trying to find something in banking...but then there's that whole "stripping your dignity as a human being" thing.

Astronuc said:
I apparently had great roommates, except for one who whined a lot after he got dumped by his girlfriend from high school. Otherwise, he was a good roommate, who let me play his Rickenbacker base!

I think most roommates are probably decent enough. The good roommates you never hear anyone complain about. Bad roommates, however, are always talked about. I can honestly only remember 2 people who said they had bad roommates.

And one of them was roommates with his ex-gf (ex at the time!).

Something's got to give. If you want to be able to live on your own, you need to do one of the following things:

1) Increase your student loan
2) Get a full-time job/Become a residential advisor/Get internship

Otherwise, you need to get a roommate. Having a roommate really isn't that bad, as long as you know the person well enough. I would suggest looking into becoming a residential advisor though. A lot of guys did that at my school and basically got paid a certain amount and got their own room. It's a pretty nice deal, but it's pretty competitive.

Trust me, with most part-time jobs, you won't be able to sustain yourself if you're trying to live on your own. You need to be able to pay for rent, heat, AC, gas if you commute, food, internet/cable/phone if you choose, etc.. Also, like Pengiuno mentioned, we're living in a bad economy. It's much more difficult getting jobs right now. I heard a news story about how difficult a time high-schoolers were having getting a part-time job for the summer.

So your requirements are one job that provides enough hours to live on and the idea of taking two or three part time jobs is unacceptable? That's a bit limiting.

I'd suggest taking the TA job, plus a second part time job, plus some part time employment where you have some flexibility to set your own hours (by time you get to three standard part time jobs, you'll surely have some schedule conflicts, making it really difficult to fill that third part time job).

As someone else mentioned, caddying is good part time work flexible enough to fit into your schedule. Refereeing or umpiring is another good source of part time income (you're hired as an independent contractor so you only have to take the games that fit into your schedule). Both of these have good opportunities for your wages to increase, either by better tips or by refereeing higher level games as you gain experience.

BobG said:
So your requirements are one job that provides enough hours to live on and the idea of taking two or three part time jobs is unacceptable? That's a bit limiting.

No. I missed this case and you are correct. Certainly, having a couple of part-time jobs will do it. The whole point of my post is that you need to have enough money to support yourself. As you said in your post, you need enough hours to live on and you most likely won't get it with one part-time job.

1) Tutor. Pick up a certification (there are lots of local, state, national agencies) to say you are a real tutor, and tutor math and science. The most plentiful client is the child from a wealthy family, and the parents are willing to spend big bucks to make sure their kid turns out okay. I tutored three high schoolers (about 12 hours per week total) for $22 per hour.

2) Sell your plasma. BioLife might be the biggest agency, and they pay decently. If you are a bigger person they will pay better because they can extract more.

3) Become a student rep. If you are into technology, both Microsoft and Apple have extremely well-paying student rep programs. They gave me a free $3000 laptop (to keep) as well as about $15 dollars per hour for the time I spent. The key is to meet your goals while managing your own time well.

Let me know if this helps!

KingNothing said:
1) Tutor. Pick up a certification (there are lots of local, state, national agencies) to say you are a real tutor, and tutor math and science. The most plentiful client is the child from a wealthy family, and the parents are willing to spend big bucks to make sure their kid turns out okay. I tutored three high schoolers (about 12 hours per week total) for $22 per hour.

2) Sell your plasma. BioLife might be the biggest agency, and they pay decently. If you are a bigger person they will pay better because they can extract more.

3) Become a student rep. If you are into technology, both Microsoft and Apple have extremely well-paying student rep programs. They gave me a free $3000 laptop (to keep) as well as about $15 dollars per hour for the time I spent. The key is to meet your goals while managing your own time well.

Let me know if this helps!

1) How? I have absolutely no idea where to start? Where do I get one of these? Do I have the qualifitcation. How do I advertise myself to those professional mommys?

2. What are they talking about? Blood? I really, really hate needles...I hate it more when they extract blood from me. BLOOD IS SUPPOSED TO BE INSIDE YOUR BODY DAMN IT!

3. What is that? I love to hear more about that $3000 lappy.

flyingpig said:
1) How? I have absolutely no idea where to start? Where do I get one of these? Do I have the qualifitcation. How do I advertise myself to those professional mommys?

2. What are they talking about? Blood? I really, really hate needles...I hate it more when they extract blood from me. BLOOD IS SUPPOSED TO BE INSIDE YOUR BODY DAMN IT!

3. What is that? I love to hear more about that $3000 lappy.

Your response is like a confession: you want easy answers.

1) I became a tutor by going through my college's academic assistance office. I just started walking into offices, talking to secretaries, and asking questions. Within 10 minutes I had all the info I needed. No certifications necessary, although I had to get recommendations from my professors and meet minimum grade requirements.

I was the only physics tutor on campus for the two freshman courses. I had a monopoly. It was great.

2) It's fine to be scared of needles, but how scared are you of not having money? If you're that tight on cash, I'd set up a bi-weekly appointment and get used to it.

3) SO LOOK IT UP! I found this in TWO farking seconds: (http://www.internshipprograms.com/Pages/Internships/InternshipView.aspx?id=2210 [Broken]). I don't know what area you're in, but if you can't even be bothered to look for this stuff then you're probably not going to be a top performer in your career.

Besides, how is a free laptop going to help you pay your rent?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is it possible to succeed in college as a student?

Yes, it is definitely possible to succeed in college as a student. With hard work, determination, and good study habits, anyone can achieve their academic goals.

2. How can I balance my social life and academics in college?

Balancing social life and academics in college can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a schedule, prioritize tasks, and set aside time for both studying and socializing.

3. What are some tips for managing stress and anxiety in college?

College can be a stressful time, so it is important to find ways to manage stress and anxiety. Some tips include exercising regularly, practicing mindfulness or meditation, seeking support from friends and family, and seeking help from a counselor if needed.

4. How can I improve my grades in college?

Improving grades in college requires dedication and hard work. Some tips include attending all classes, actively participating in class, seeking help from professors or tutors, and staying organized with assignments and deadlines.

5. What are some resources available to help college students succeed?

There are many resources available to help college students succeed, including academic advising, tutoring services, writing centers, and career centers. Additionally, many colleges offer counseling services for mental health support. It is important to take advantage of these resources to help you succeed academically and personally.