Pre-college Job for an international student,.

In summary: It seems that as an F1 visa holder from Syria, I am eligible for employment authorization under the TPS status. This means I can work full time and save money before returning to college. I can contact a job agency like Manpower or Adecco to find a job that pays minimum wage, which should be enough to save some money if I work full time and have few expenses. I may be able to find a job in catering or factory work, and if I have an internationally valid license for driving or welding, I may have better job prospects and pay. However, as an international student, I am not permitted to hold jobs outside of working on campus at my institute. If I want to work off campus, I will have to work
YYaaSSeeRR
hi all
I am an international student *Syrian* ,I will be in the US in July as a F1 visa holder.
I will be under the TPS status,so I am thinking about dropping college for a year in order to save some money.
so I am looking for a Job before going to college ,I know some of you may suggest part-time jobs but I need to work really hard and save some cash before going back to college.

so what do you think?

is there something else other than McDonald?
I am not familiar with the US but how much you get paid when you work for McDonald? is it 4 $ per hour?

waiting for your suggestions...

best;

Physics news on Phys.org
Contact a job agency like Manpower or Adecco. Usually they have an office in each large city. If in doubt look them up on internet.
They'll find you a job, usually for the minimum wage(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States). This should be enough to save a few bucks if working full time and having few expenses. A shared flat helps here immensely.
The range of jobs varies. It might be catering(a'la McDonald's) or factory work. If you have an internationally valid license for e.g. forklift driving or welding, then you're lookin at quite a bit better prospects both in terms of job availability and pay.

I see ,but can I get that kind of driving license in the US? and how much does it cost approximately?

Google says around $50.

I thought international students weren't permitted to hold jobs outside of working on campus at their institute?

This is what I believe to be the case, and if it is, your only chance is to work under the table, which usually means working in an ethnic area where the small businesses don't follow the rules. Expect to be paid below minimum wage though.

YYaaSSeeRR said:
hi all
I am an international student *Syrian* ,I will be in the US in July as a F1 visa holder.
I will be under the TPS status,so I am thinking about dropping college for a year in order to save some money.
so I am looking for a Job before going to college ,
You can't drop college, you must meet minimum course requirements each semester.

Who is covered by this notice?

This notice applies exclusively to F-1 students whose country of
citizenship is Syria and who were lawfully present in the United States
in F-1 nonimmigrant status on April 3, 2012 under section
101(a)(15)(F)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), 8 U.S.C.
1101(a)(15)(F)(i) and (1) are enrolled in an institution that is
Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified for enrollment
for F-1 students; (2) are currently maintaining

When a student applies simultaneously for TPS status and benefits under
this notice, what is the minimum course load requirement while an
application for employment authorization is pending?

The student must maintain normal course load requirements for a
full course of study unless or until he or she is granted employment
authorization under this notice. TPS-related employment authorization,
by itself, does not authorize a student to drop below 12 credit hours.
Once approved for ``severe economic hardship'' employment
authorization, the student may drop below 12 credit hours (with a
minimum of six semester or quarter hours of instruction per academic
term if the student is at the undergraduate level, or a minimum of
three semester or quarter hours of instruction per academic term if the
student is at the graduate level).

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-04-03/html/2012-7960.htm

thanks for clarifying this.

1. What are the benefits of having a pre-college job as an international student?

Having a pre-college job as an international student can provide valuable work experience, help improve language skills, and provide financial support for living expenses and tuition fees.

2. Can international students work while studying in a pre-college program?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time during their pre-college program as long as they have a valid study permit and their work does not interfere with their studies.

3. Are there any restrictions on the type of job international students can have?

International students are generally limited to working on campus or off-campus part-time jobs related to their field of study. However, some countries may have specific restrictions, so it is important to check with the government and your institution.

4. How many hours can international students work during their pre-college program?

International students are typically limited to working up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. However, during scheduled breaks, such as summer or winter holidays, students can work full-time.

5. Do international students need a work permit to have a pre-college job?

In most cases, international students will need a work permit to have a pre-college job. However, there may be exceptions for certain types of on-campus jobs or for students from specific countries. It is important to check with the government and your institution for the specific requirements.