Guys need your help -- Fishtank inflow/outflow rates

• Thread starter Ruckus
  • Start date
I need to work out the liters per hour from the diagram I have attached. There are no motors/pumps involved just gravity flowing through a tube. Thanks :thumbs:

Attachments

Nugatory

Mentor
Why not directly measure it? You'll have to do that in any case before you can trust any result that you've calculated from your idealized description of the problem.

Thanks for your quick reply. How would I go on measuring it?

I need to get a pump that would pump the same liters per hour as the tube or the tanks will overflow.

Nugatory

Mentor
Thanks for your quick reply. How would I go on measuring it?
Fill the top vessel, measure how miuch the level in the bottom vessel changes in a given time?

Nugatory

Mentor
I need to get a pump that would pump the same liters per hour as the tube or the tanks will overflow.
Most reliable and affordable systems use a switch operated by a float to turn the pump on and off as needed to maintain a constant level.

Most reliable and affordable systems use a switch operated by a float to turn the pump on and off as needed to maintain a constant level.
I haven't yet built it. Its for a rack of aquariums. Is there no formulas to work this out?

Nugatory

Mentor
I haven't yet built it. Its for a rack of aquariums. Is there no formulas to work this out?
None that you could trust. Any mismatch between the flow in and the flow out, no matter how small, will build up over time. Have you seen how tropical fish stores handle this problem?