1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys need your help -- Fishtank inflow/outflow rates

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    I need to work out the liters per hour from the diagram I have attached. There are no motors/pumps involved just gravity flowing through a tube. Thanks :thumbs:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Why not directly measure it? You'll have to do that in any case before you can trust any result that you've calculated from your idealized description of the problem.

4. Aug 28, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply. How would I go on measuring it?

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4
    I need to get a pump that would pump the same liters per hour as the tube or the tanks will overflow.

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5

Nugatory

Fill the top vessel, measure how miuch the level in the bottom vessel changes in a given time?

7. Aug 28, 2014 #6

Nugatory

Most reliable and affordable systems use a switch operated by a float to turn the pump on and off as needed to maintain a constant level.

8. Aug 28, 2014 #7
    I haven't yet built it. Its for a rack of aquariums. Is there no formulas to work this out?

9. Aug 28, 2014 #8

Nugatory

None that you could trust. Any mismatch between the flow in and the flow out, no matter how small, will build up over time. Have you seen how tropical fish stores handle this problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook