Guys need your help -- Fishtank inflow/outflow rates

• Thread starter Ruckus
  • Start date
In summary, the individual needs to work out the liters per hour from a diagram without any motors or pumps involved, and the best way to do this is by directly measuring the flow. They also need to be aware that any calculated results may not be reliable due to potential mismatches between inflow and outflow. Alternatively, they could consider using a switch operated by a float to maintain a constant level, as is commonly done in tropical fish stores.
Ruckus
I need to work out the liters per hour from the diagram I have attached. There are no motors/pumps involved just gravity flowing through a tube. Thanks :thumbs:

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not directly measure it? You'll have to do that in any case before you can trust any result that you've calculated from your idealized description of the problem.

Thanks for your quick reply. How would I go on measuring it?

I need to get a pump that would pump the same liters per hour as the tube or the tanks will overflow.

Ruckus said:
Thanks for your quick reply. How would I go on measuring it?

Fill the top vessel, measure how miuch the level in the bottom vessel changes in a given time?

Ruckus said:
I need to get a pump that would pump the same liters per hour as the tube or the tanks will overflow.

Most reliable and affordable systems use a switch operated by a float to turn the pump on and off as needed to maintain a constant level.

Nugatory said:
Most reliable and affordable systems use a switch operated by a float to turn the pump on and off as needed to maintain a constant level.

I haven't yet built it. Its for a rack of aquariums. Is there no formulas to work this out?

Ruckus said:
I haven't yet built it. Its for a rack of aquariums. Is there no formulas to work this out?

None that you could trust. Any mismatch between the flow in and the flow out, no matter how small, will build up over time. Have you seen how tropical fish stores handle this problem?

1. How do I know what the appropriate inflow/outflow rate is for my fish tank?

The appropriate inflow/outflow rate for a fish tank depends on the size of the tank, the type and number of fish, and the type of filtration system being used. Generally, a good rule of thumb is to have a turnover rate of 4-6 times per hour for freshwater tanks and 8-10 times per hour for saltwater tanks.

2. What is the purpose of having a balanced inflow/outflow rate?

A balanced inflow/outflow rate helps to maintain a healthy and stable environment for your fish. It ensures that there is enough water circulation and oxygenation, while also removing waste and toxins from the tank.

3. How can I increase or decrease the inflow/outflow rate in my fish tank?

The inflow/outflow rate can be adjusted by changing the settings on your filtration system or by using a flow control valve. You can also add or remove decorations or plants in the tank to alter the flow of water.

4. What are the consequences of having an incorrect inflow/outflow rate?

If the inflow/outflow rate is too high, it can cause stress to the fish and disrupt the balance of the tank. On the other hand, if it is too low, there may not be enough oxygenation and waste removal, leading to poor water quality and potential health issues for the fish.

5. How often should I check and adjust the inflow/outflow rate in my fish tank?

It is recommended to check the inflow/outflow rate at least once a week and adjust it as needed. However, if you notice any changes in the behavior of your fish or the overall health of your tank, it may be necessary to check and adjust the rate more frequently.