What does that 5’Oclock shadow feel like?
In addition to sodium/potassium/calcium thioglycollate, it is well known that over bleaching hair will cause it to become very brittle. (I developed a soluble keratin product that started with bleach) This can oxidize the majority of the disulfide bonds to sulfonic acid residues. Only mild ammonium thioglycollate is sufficient to complete the process. After that treatment, pretty much all that is holding the hair together is hydrogen bonding from the acidic side chains on the proteins. Base will just dissolve the remaining hair to a goo. Bicarb might be strong enough if the bleaching step is thorough enough.
Think bad perm...
Edit: I forgot to add that much of what holds skin together is also keratin. Skin reacts to all this stuff too! I’ve seen lasers are being used. I assume phasers might work as well but I’m not sure what the phaser setting would be for hair removal. Somewhere between heavy stun and kill I’d imagine.