What is the half-range Fourier sine series for the function f(t) = t sin(t)?

In summary, the student is asking for help in finding the half-range Fourier sine series for the function f(t) = t sin(t). They are confused because the problem does not specify any limits, unlike other examples they have seen. They are considering changing the function to t cos(t) and finding the Fourier series from 0 to 2pi. They are also unsure about the change and apologize for their lack of understanding on the topic.
NotStine

Homework Statement

Question: Find the half-range Fourier sine series for the function f(t) = t sin(t)

Problem: According to all the examples I have gone through, they all have a limit when asking for the half-range. However, my teacher, in the question posted above, has not specified any limits. Is this a typing error? If not, can you please nudge me in the right direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet. I'm under the impression that question may have been typed wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think -pi to pi are standard ...
Currently, it is an even function, I can suggest making it odd t*cos(t) and finding Fourier series from 0 to 2pi.

Ok here is what I gather so far:

I am looking for the sine half-series, which is bn.Sin(nt) from the Fourier series.

So,

bn = I{t.sin(t).sin(nt)} between 0 and 2pi

... which goes to ...

bn = I{t.sint(1+n)} between 0 and 2pi?

Is that correct?

EDIT: ... which gives me 0. I think I misunderstood.

Reading your suggestion again, you have changed t.sin(t) to t.cos(t)... Why is that? I can see we get an odd function (odd . even) but not sure how we came about the change...

Apologies in advance if I sound retarded, but 2 lectures on Fourier was no way near enough in my opinion.

Last edited:
Any ideas?

What is a Half-Range Fourier Series?

A Half-Range Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic signal using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is used to decompose a function into its fundamental frequency components.

What is the difference between a Full-Range and a Half-Range Fourier Series?

In a Full-Range Fourier Series, the function is represented over a full period, while in a Half-Range Fourier Series, the function is only represented over half of a period. This results in the Half-Range Fourier Series having only cosine terms, while the Full-Range Fourier Series has both sine and cosine terms.

What are the applications of Half-Range Fourier Series?

Half-Range Fourier Series are commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and other areas of engineering to analyze and manipulate periodic signals. They are also useful in solving partial differential equations and in image processing techniques.

How is a Half-Range Fourier Series calculated?

A Half-Range Fourier Series is calculated using the Fourier coefficients, which are obtained by integrating the function over one half of a period and then dividing by the period. These coefficients are then used to construct the Half-Range Fourier Series by adding together the appropriate sine and cosine terms.

What are the limitations of Half-Range Fourier Series?

Half-Range Fourier Series can only be used to represent functions that are periodic over half of a period. They also require the function to be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. In addition, the series may not converge for functions with very steep changes or singularities.