Half-silvered rear surface phase shift

In summary, the rear surface reflection of a half-silvered mirror does not undergo a phase shift, but this is only true for a dielectric mirror. The answer for a metallized mirror is either a 180 degree phase shift or continuously increases to 180 degrees as the metallization increases to 100%. This is because the amplitudes of the transmitted and reflected waves must both be 1/√2 and have phase shifts of + and - π/4 to match the input wave. This means that the mirror acts as a 90° hybrid junction. However, the literature states that the answer may be different for a front surface mirror and a dielectric rear surface mirror.
Alfred Cann
I have read that the rear surface reflection of a half-silvered mirror undergoes no phase shift. But they caution that this is true only for a dielectric mirror. What is the answer for a metallized mirror? It seems to me that the answer must either be 180 degr., or pass continuously to 180 degr. as we increase the metallization to 100%.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I can partly answer my own question.
The amplitudes of the transmitted and reflected waves must both be 1/√2. To satisfy the boundary conditions, their phase shifts must be + and - π/4, so that they add up to match the input wave, 1.0 at zero phase.
Thus, the mirror acts like a 90° hybrid junction, a device well-known in the microwave world.

I would be comfortable with this explanation except for one thing. I can't see how the answer would be any different for a front surface mirror and a dielectric rear surface mirror, yet the literature sez it is. What am I doing wrong?

What is "Half-silvered rear surface phase shift"?

"Half-silvered rear surface phase shift" is a term used in optics to describe a specific type of mirror that has a thin layer of silver on one side. This mirror allows some light to pass through while reflecting the rest, resulting in a phase shift of the reflected light.

How does a half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirror work?

The thin layer of silver on one side of the mirror causes a partial reflection and a partial transmission of light. The transmitted light undergoes a phase shift of 180 degrees, while the reflected light does not. This creates an interference pattern when the two beams are recombined, resulting in a phase shift of the reflected light.

What are some practical applications of half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirrors?

Half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirrors are commonly used in interferometers, optical switches, and beam splitters. They are also used in optical experiments and research, as well as in certain types of laser technology.

What is the difference between a half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirror and a regular mirror?

The main difference between a half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirror and a regular mirror is the thickness and composition of the reflective layer. Half-silvered mirrors have a much thinner layer of silver, allowing some light to pass through, while regular mirrors have a thicker layer of reflective material, resulting in a complete reflection of light.

Are there any limitations or disadvantages to using half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirrors?

One limitation of using half-silvered rear surface phase shift mirrors is that they have a lower reflectivity compared to regular mirrors. This means that they may not be suitable for applications where a high level of reflectivity is needed. Additionally, the thin silver layer on the mirror can be easily damaged, making them more delicate than regular mirrors.