1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half-silvered rear surface phase shift

1. Aug 23, 2013 #1
    I have read that the rear surface reflection of a half-silvered mirror undergoes no phase shift. But they caution that this is true only for a dielectric mirror. What is the answer for a metallized mirror? It seems to me that the answer must either be 180 degr., or pass continuously to 180 degr. as we increase the metallization to 100%.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2013 #2
    I think I can partly answer my own question.
    The amplitudes of the transmitted and reflected waves must both be 1/√2. To satisfy the boundary conditions, their phase shifts must be + and - π/4, so that they add up to match the input wave, 1.0 at zero phase.
    Thus, the mirror acts like a 90° hybrid junction, a device well-known in the microwave world.

I would be comfortable with this explanation except for one thing. I can't see how the answer would be any different for a front surface mirror and a dielectric rear surface mirror, yet the literature sez it is. What am I doing wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook