Do Moving Charges Create Magnetic Fields, or is it Something Else?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Laplace force and Hall voltage in relation to a current carrying conductor inside a magnetic field. It is mentioned that the Hall voltage can cancel out the microscopic Lorentz force, but it is also suggested that the electric motors operate due to the Newton's 3rd Law of action and reaction. One participant proposes that the Laplace force is caused by external forces such as poynting energy flow, while another suggests that it is an internal force that does not change the momentum of the conductor. The question of why a moving electron gets deflected in a magnetic field is also raised.
Delta2
Insights Author
Gold Member
Ok so when we have a current carrying conductor inside a magnetic field there would be Laplace force ##L\times Bi## which is the macroscopic form of the microscopic Lorentz force ##v\times Bq## in a large number of electrons ( or it is not ?)

But also there will be hall voltage which will cancel out that microscopic Lorentz force. So wouldn't that cancel the laplace force as well? Then how on Earth do the electric motors operate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hall effect comes for macroscopic cases...for if you consider one electron system, where is the hall effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Niladri Dan said:
Hall effect comes for macroscopic cases...for if u cosider one electron system, where is the hall effect?

The electric field from the hall voltage is ##E_h=\frac{V_h}{d}##. This electric field is such as to oppose the force ##v_e\times Bq_e## so it is
##(E_h+v_e\times B)q_e=0##. (##v_e,q_e## the drift velocity and the charge of a free electron).

In my opinion Lorentz force is nothing but poynting energy flow E x H created by external magnetic field and varrying electric field at a nearby point because of charge moving through that point

Narayanan KR said:
In my opinion Lorentz force is nothing but poynting energy flow E x H created by external magnetic field and varrying electric field at a nearby point because of charge moving through that point
this is an interesting opinion...can you provide some further references or reading that will support your opinion

Well, not sure what Narayanan KR implies but I think I have found a solution to this that makes use of mainstream classical physics, and most specifically Newton's 3rd Law of action and reaction:

So to an electron with drift velocity ##v_e## and charge ##q_e##there are being apllied two forces : The force from the electric field of hall voltage, ##F_{E_h}## and the force from the magnetic field ##F_B=(v_e \times B)q_e ## and it is ##F_{E_h}+F_B=0## (1).

Now here comes the interesting part, according to the Newton's 3rd law, the electron applies a force ##-F_{E_h}## (2) to the surface charges of the conductor that create the hall voltage and the associated electric field. The force from a single electron will be negligible, but there is huge number of electrons that make up the current, and if we do the math and due to (1) and (2) we ll find that the total reaction force that the stream of electrons applies to the surface charges equals the laplace force.

(Ofcourse there is also the reaction force that the stream of electrons applies to the source of the magnetic field and it will be -Laplace force)

So what do you think of this explanation?

I guess the force that the electron stream applies to the surface charges is an internal force, thus cannot change the momentum/angular momentum of the conductor , for that is responsible the force from the magnetic field, however internal forces make the work here and are responsible for the change in kinetic energy. The Laplace force it is just another example of an external force that doesn't do work (cause magnetic field cannot do work on matter according to many threads in this forums) but is responsible for the change in momentum. (Friction is another example of such force, many threads in this forum on how friction doesn't do work on rotating wheels of a car, though it is responsible for the change in momentum).

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Delta² said:
Well, not sure what Narayanan KR implies but I think I have found a solution to this that makes use of mainstream classical physics, and most specifically Newton's 3rd Law of action and reaction:

So to an electron with drift velocity ##v_e## and charge ##q_e##there are being apllied two forces : The force from the electric field of hall voltage, ##F_{E_h}## and the force from the magnetic field ##F_B=(v_e \times B)q_e ## and it is ##F_{E_h}+F_B=0## (1).

Now here comes the interesting part, according to the Newton's 3rd law, the electron applies a force ##-F_{E_h}## (2) to the surface charges of the conductor that create the hall voltage and the associated electric field. The force from a single electron will be negligible, but there is huge number of electrons that make up the current, and if we do the math and due to (1) and (2) we ll find that the total reaction force that the stream of electrons applies to the surface charges equals the laplace force.

(Ofcourse there is also the reaction force that the stream of electrons applies to the source of the magnetic field and it will be -Laplace force)

So what do you think of this explanation?

I guess the force that the electron stream applies to the surface charges is an internal force, thus cannot change the momentum/angular momentum of the conductor , for that is responsible the force from the magnetic field, however internal forces make the work here and are responsible for the change in kinetic energy. The Laplace force it is just another example of an external force that doesn't do work (cause magnetic field cannot do work on matter according to many threads in this forums) but is responsible for the change in momentum. (Friction is another example of such force, many threads in this forum on how friction doesn't do work on rotating wheels of a car, though it is responsible for the change in momentum).

I agree that lot of electrons moving to one side of a conductor has a macroscopic reaction effect, but my question is why at the first place that a moving electron gets deflected in a magnetic field, textbooks say that moving charge creates magnetic field around it and it gets attracted/repelled in an external magnetic field accordingly.
Yet i think that moving charge is not reason of magnetic field, its just change in electric field at a point creates magnetic field, just like inside a capacitor.
All we need to know clearly is what happens when we have have electric and magnetic fields perpendicular to each other in a region where a charge is placed.
We can do it by reading the papers of Heaviside or poynting available in Archives.org or conduct simple experiment with capacitors (electric field) and magnets (magnetic field) ( by creating magnetic field perpendicular to electric field in a capacitor we have to look for any electrical or EM activity )

Narayanan KR said:
Yet i think that moving charge is not reason of magnetic field, its just change in electric field at a point creates magnetic field, just like inside a capacitor.

How can you explain the creation of strong magnetic field from DC current then, if not because of the moving charges? Of course we know that microscopically in a DC current there is time varying electric field, but I believe that macroscopically the total electric field is nearly zero and ##dE/dt## will be almost zero. There is not strong enough ##dE/dt## term (the displacement current term in Maxwell's-Ampere's Law is very small in the case of DC current) to explain the strong magnetic field from a DC current, moving charges (the current density term in Maxwell's- Ampere's Law)is the only explanation.

1. What is the difference between Hall voltage and Laplace force?

Hall voltage refers to the electric potential difference that develops across a conductor when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the direction of current flow. On the other hand, Laplace force is the force experienced by a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field, which is perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

2. How are Hall voltage and Laplace force related?

Hall voltage and Laplace force are both consequences of the interaction between a magnetic field and a current-carrying conductor. The Hall voltage is a result of the Lorentz force acting on the charge carriers in the conductor, while Laplace force is the sum of all the individual Lorentz forces on each charge carrier within the conductor.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of Hall voltage and Laplace force?

The magnitude of Hall voltage is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the conductor, and the material properties of the conductor. In the case of Laplace force, the magnitude is influenced by the same factors as well as the length and orientation of the conductor in the magnetic field.

4. Can Hall voltage and Laplace force be used for practical applications?

Yes, both Hall voltage and Laplace force have practical applications. Hall voltage is commonly used in Hall effect sensors for measuring magnetic fields, while Laplace force is utilized in devices such as electric motors and generators.

5. Is there a relationship between Hall voltage and Laplace force in a circuit?

In a circuit, Hall voltage and Laplace force are not directly related, but they both contribute to the overall behavior of the circuit. The Hall voltage can affect the overall resistance of the circuit, while Laplace force can result in mechanical movement of the conductor, which can also impact the circuit's behavior.