Halloween: Gluing things to facial hair

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, if you want to glue a fake beard on, you should:- use pipe cleaners and spirit gum- make a platform- jam the pipe cleaners up under the beard and mustache to get maximum grip- balance the weight
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Googling the title will get you a million hits on how to glue a fake beard on. I have a real beard and want to glue stuff to it.

My first attempts are not viable. Need suggestions.

OK, here's the concept: "Mandusa"

1571782208325.png
My moustache is about 1" long and my beard is only about 3/4".

I started with pipe cleaners and spirit gum. I bent the attachment ends into a little platform to help resist torque, and giving me at least 1.5 linear inches of surface contact. I jam it up under my moustache/beard to get maximum grip on skin and hair. It holds for a while, but starts to sag quickly because the weight is off-balance and pulls at the gum.

Wife helpfully bought me a fake beard but, in my opinion, that kind of defeats the purpose.

(I do have tiny rubber snakes, which I may try, but the pip cleaners can be shaped better. The rubber snakes will just hang down, unless I prop them up with the pipe cleaners. But this is a secondary issue. It won't matter if I can't good adhesion.)

I am loathe to try cyanoacrylate.

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Googling the title will get you a million hits on how to glue a fake beard on. I have a real beard and want to glue stuff to it.

My first attempts are not viable. Need suggestions.

OK, here's the concept: "Mandusa"

View attachment 251673My moustache is about 1" long and my beard is only about 3/4".

I started with pipe cleaners and spirit gum. I bent the attachment ends into a little platform to help resist torque, and giving me at least 1.5 linear inches of surface contact. I jam it up under my moustache/beard to get maximum grip on skin and hair. It holds for a while, but starts to sag quickly because the weight is off-balance and pulls at the gum.

Wife helpfully bought me a fake beard but, in my opinion, that kind of defeats the purpose.

(I do have tiny rubber snakes, which I may try, but the pip cleaners can be shaped better. The rubber snakes will just hang down, unless I prop them up with the pipe cleaners. But this is a secondary issue. It won't matter if I can't good adhesion.)

I am loathe to try cyanoacrylate.

Suggestions?
Spirit gum is fine for attaching more hair, but not for the adornments you're envisioning -- krazy glue would probably work, but it's hard to remove -- the normal solvent for releasing artificial fingernails is acetone, but it requires a few minutes to work -- the quick release mini dip jars contain MEK, a substance no sensible person would want near his face -- maybe, with wire to support the decorations, you could have a person who does eyebrow threading tie them on for you.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
It holds for a while, but starts to sag quickly because the weight is off-balance and pulls at the gum.
If that is really the cause of failure, balance the weight! Join two pipe cleaners end-to-end and attach symmetrically about the CG.

I suspect, however, that the weight is too much for the available adhesion/cohesion of the spirit gum. You may have better results by cutting up an adhesive bandage. Maybe even harvesting the adhesive on them. Some of them will remove the top layer of skin at attempted removal! IIRC, Ethyl Alcohol is a solvent.

And of course as in any glue project, clean & dry is a prerequisite.

Please update about your progress (or lack thereof).

Cheers,
Tom

Addendum: make some lightweight pipe cleaners from yarn and 30Ga. wire-wrap wire. Or just starch some yarn.

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
If that is really the cause of failure, balance the weight! Join two pipe cleaners end-to-end and attach symmetrically about the CG.
Picture a handlebar mustache, but with the ends sticking forward farther than my nose.
The attachment line is laterally along my upper lip. But the torque is parallel to that line, so the whole thing tips forward. Only way to balance it around the CG is to have wires inside my skull. o0)

I'm experimenting with a more rigid base structure that goes across the upper lip, then down my "chops" to my chin in an upsidedown "U".

I'm using white and grey pipe cleaners, so it's practically invisible!

Likes Tom.G
OK. I think I got it.

I'm holding with my lip because I can't glue it on yet; the spirit gum will mangle it. But it seemed to work on my prototypes.

I hope no joker tries to rip it off, or I'll end up in the hospital for lipular reconstruction.

MANdusa.jpg

Nice snakes!

Stick them into a mouth guard or glue them to dentures (if you have them).
Their entrance into your month will be hidden by your mostash.

1. Can I use any type of glue for attaching items to my facial hair for Halloween?

It is not recommended to use any type of glue, as some can be harmful to your skin and hair. It is best to use a non-toxic, skin-safe adhesive specifically designed for use on facial hair, or to use products that are made to stick to hair without the use of glue, such as spirit gum or hair wax.

2. How do I remove the glue and attached items from my facial hair after Halloween?

It is important to follow the instructions on the adhesive or product you used to attach the items to your facial hair. In general, you can use a gentle oil-based cleanser or makeup remover to dissolve the glue and carefully remove the items from your hair. Be sure to wash your face and hair thoroughly afterwards.

3. Can I reuse the items and glue for next year's Halloween?

If the items and glue are still in good condition and have been stored properly, you may be able to reuse them for next year's Halloween. Be sure to clean off any remaining glue and store the items in a cool, dry place to prevent damage or deterioration.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using glue and attaching items to my facial hair for Halloween?

Yes, it is important to carefully read and follow the instructions on the adhesive or product you are using. Be sure to do a patch test on a small area of skin before applying to your entire face, and avoid using any products that may cause an allergic reaction. It is also important to avoid getting glue or attached items near your eyes, mouth, or any open cuts or wounds.

5. Is it safe to leave the glue and attached items on my facial hair for an extended period of time?

No, it is not recommended to leave the glue and attached items on your facial hair for an extended period of time. This can cause irritation to your skin and damage to your hair. It is best to remove the items and glue at the end of the night and properly clean your face and hair.

Back