1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Hammer / feather moon drop clip

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    Not a question but such a good clip for those that have not had the pleasure;

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To me the slower free-falling hammer than it does on earth looks more fascinating, almost as if they are doing the experiment underwater.

4. Mar 27, 2017 #3
    Yr posts makes me wonder if it is possible to calculate the Moon's gravity by motion analysing this clip??

Need the frame rate and a known distance eg height of astronaut, their must be some object in view someone knows the precise length of??

5. Mar 27, 2017 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With the frame rate, you will also need to know the number of frames between the moment of the release of the objects and the moment when they hit the ground, which I think is rather difficult to achieve unless you have some video analyzer to decompose the frames. For the first try may be we can just believe that the playback time is the same as the time the scene was recorded, i.e. use the displayed YouTube's time.

6. Mar 27, 2017 #5
    Yes that would be a good first calculation. I am worried that the optics seems a bit "squishy" ie distorted to get good distance data.

Why oh why did they not think to pack a 1m ruler.

7. Mar 27, 2017 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

cuz they don't/didn't know what a metre is/was :wink::biggrin:

yeah some sort of measuring ruler would have been good to complete the science experiment

D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted