Happy St George's Day | Celebrate England's Patron Saint

• Thread starter J77
  • Start date
In summary: UK don't celebrate St George's day at all...In summary, Saint George's day is not celebrated by many people and there are no formal festivities. There is no feasting, but people celebrate by wearing Union Jack cufflinks or roast a giant lizard.
J77
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7794/800pxflagofenglandsvgqj9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happy St George's day to all. Although I'll have to embarassingly admit that I forgot it was st georges day today! :blushing:

Have a wonderful day! Will there be feasting and roses?

I'll give you guys three guesses to guess my first name!:biggrin:

Yay, its my saints day.....shouldnt I be getting presents or something.:confused:

Yes GO is a proper shortening of George. George Washington, often signed his name with it.
Hope you day is special too!

Well as you can see by this thread its isn't celebrated by many and there are no real formal festivities so I doubt there will be feasting :(

I wore my Union Jack cufflinks at work. 2 people noticed.

What the face is St. George's Day?

In Christian hagiography Saint George - The Saint who killed the Dragon (ca. 275-281–April 23, 303) was a soldier of the Roman Empire, from Anatolia, now modern day Turkey, who was venerated as an Islamic and Christian martyr. Saint George is the most venerated saint in the Eastern Orthodox Church and Oriental Orthodox Churches. Immortalised in the tale of George and the Dragon, he is the patron saint of Canada, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Montenegro, Portugal, Serbia, the cities of Istanbul, Ljubljana and Moscow, as well as a wide range of professions, organisations and disease sufferers.

...Hymn of St. George:

"Liberator of captives,
and defender of the poor,
physician of the sick,
and champion of kings,
O trophy-bearer,
and Great Martyr George,
intercede with
Christ our God that
our souls be saved."
[continued]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

He was some dude who killed a dragon! A DRAGON!

NO feasting? Well that just can't happen. So, I will roast a giant Turkey, set out a trencher table of all manor of wonderful things to eat!
All are welcome to come...feasting begins at 6 PM.

I intend to roast a giant lizard in honor of SG.

Do you serve roasted Komodo Dragon with red or white wine?

J77 said:
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7794/800pxflagofenglandsvgqj9.png

Whos St george? Ohhh yeah ---> he is from Georgia...

hehe :biggrin:

Happy your saint day, shame (maybe you are) not called George then it could also be your name day too :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
brewnog said:
I wore my Union Jack cufflinks at work. 2 people noticed.

Union Jack, on Saint George day?

Anttech said:
Union Jack, on Saint George day?

Obviously I meant Cross of St George. Well spotted!

brewnog said:
Obviously I meant Cross of St George. Well spotted!

Glad you meant that, because I could hear St Andrew screaming in the background :biggrin:

hehe..

Ivan Seeking said:
I intend to roast a giant lizard in honor of SG.

Do you serve roasted Komodo Dragon with red or white wine?

I would go for a red one with a rosey blush, sense the rose is the flower of the day. Its just so hard to find good dragon these days, enjoy!

G01 said:
I'll give you guys three guesses to guess my first name!:biggrin:

Yay, its my saints day.....shouldnt I be getting presents or something.:confused:

hey, Frylock, I made you a sweater. :tongue2: :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
hey, Frylock, I made you a sweater. :tongue2: :smile:

Wow...a sweater...made out of...pine cones?? Thanks Meatwad??:wink::smile:

Last edited:
hypatia said:
I would go for a red one with a rosey blush, sense the rose is the flower of the day. Its just so hard to find good dragon these days, enjoy!
Fresh-killed dragon must be gutted, rinsed out, and hung until the skin feels about to slip off the carcass, or the meat isn't fit to eat. Cooks have been banished for failing to properly time the aging of the carcass to coincide with the feast. There is no wine that can properly be served with dragon - only ale or (in the 5-star castles) spiced mead. How has our culinary knowledge slipped to this low ebb? Next, someone will claim that unicorn is best served fresh-killed grilled with a dry rub, garnished with capers!:yuck:

Last edited:
G01 said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

G01 said:
You're lucky she didn't make it out of thistle heads. :eek:

turbo-1 said:
Fresh-killed dragon must be gutted, rinsed out, and hung until the skin feels about to slip off the carcass, or the meat isn't fit to eat. Cooks have been banished for failing to properly time the aging of the carcass to coincide with the feast. There is no wine that can properly be served with dragon - only ale or (in the 5-star castles) spiced mead. How has our culinary knowledge slipped to this low ebb? Next, someone will claim that unicorn is best served fresh-killed grilled with a dry rub, garnished with capers!:yuck:

I guess I had better not mention McDragon burgers then.

Could his reasoning be in public ?

1. What is St George's Day?

St George's Day is a holiday that celebrates the patron saint of England, St George. It falls on April 23rd every year.

2. How is St George's Day celebrated?

St George's Day is typically celebrated with parades, festivals, and other events that showcase English culture and traditions. Many people also wear a red rose, the national flower of England, on this day.

3. Why is St George's Day important?

St George's Day is an important day for many English people because it is a celebration of their national identity and pride in their country. It is also a way to honor St George, who is known as the patron saint of England and the symbol of bravery and chivalry.

4. How did St George become the patron saint of England?

St George became the patron saint of England in the 14th century when King Edward III declared him the protector of the English people. St George was known for his bravery and courage, and his legend spread throughout England, making him a popular choice for the country's patron saint.

5. Are there any traditional foods or drinks associated with St George's Day?

Yes, there are a few traditional foods and drinks associated with St George's Day in England. These include roast beef, fish and chips, and ale. Some people also eat a dessert called "dragon cake" to symbolize St George's famous dragon-slaying legend.