Harmonic Distortion in a current waveform

In summary: If you take a look at question (iii) in the same series, it actually asks"generate a graph of the total harmonic distortion [THD] as a function of input amplitude"So, the question is asking you to generate a graph of the THD as a function of input amplitude.If you just do a time domain plot of your B column versus your times in the A column, that will plot the original waveform.I think you're right, this is what the question was asking. Thanks for the clarification.
David J
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
Estimate the total harmonic distortion [THD] present in the current waveform using the formula:

Homework Equations

##THD\left(I\right)=\frac{1}{I1}\sqrt{\sum_{n=2}^\max\left(In\right)^2}\times 100\%##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a worksheet for this. The work sheet has generated a graph. In the graph there are 3 peaks. The vertical axis is ##i^2## The first peak is showing the ##i^2## value of 15.87849655. The second peak is showing the ##i^2## value of 8.770681646 and the third peak is showing the ##i^2## value of 6.253185768.
The first peak is the fundamental. Peaks 2 and 3 are harmonics.

##I1=\sqrt{15.87849655}=3.984783##

##In=\sqrt{8.770681646+6.253185768}=3.876063391##

##THD\left(I\right)=\frac{1}{3.984783}\times 3.876063391\times 100\%##

##THD\left(I\right)=0.250954686\times 3.876063391\times 100\%##

##THD\left(I\right)=0.972716\times 100\%##

##THD\left(I\right)=97.2716\%##

I think this is correct but would appreciate any comments if I am wrong. I have attached the excel spread sheet to be read in conjunction with this question and answer.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Worksheet for Harmonics Question.xlsx
    119.4 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
David J said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Estimate the total harmonic distortion [THD] present in the current waveform using the formula:

Homework Equations

##THD\left(I\right)=\frac{1}{I1}\sqrt{\sum_{n=2}^\max\left(In\right)^2}\times 100\%##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a worksheet for this. The work sheet has generated a graph. In the graph there are 3 peaks. The vertical axis is ##i^2## The first peak is showing the ##i^2## value of 15.87849655. The second peak is showing the ##i^2## value of 8.770681646 and the third peak is showing the ##i^2## value of 6.253185768.
The first peak is the fundamental. Peaks 2 and 3 are harmonics.

##I1=\sqrt{15.87849655}=3.984783##

##In=\sqrt{8.770681646+6.253185768}=3.876063391##

##THD\left(I\right)=\frac{1}{3.984783}\times 3.876063391\times 100\%##

##THD\left(I\right)=0.250954686\times 3.876063391\times 100\%##

##THD\left(I\right)=0.972716\times 100\%##

##THD\left(I\right)=97.2716\%##

I think this is correct but would appreciate any comments if I am wrong. I have attached the excel spread sheet to be read in conjunction with this question and answer.

Thanks again
I didn't check it in detail, but it looks like you did it correctly. BTW, there are different kinds of THD, so I assume they asked for the THD with respect to the fundamental, which is the equation that you used. The THD with respect to the RMS sum of the currents cannot exceed 100%, but the THD with respect to the fundamental can if there is enough distortion.

Thanks for your input. I have attached the question FYI. It states to use this equation.

This was question (iii) of (iv) in a series. Question (iv) asks

"attempt to synthesise the shape of the original waveform from its principal harmonics [ eg sketch the waveforms of the harmonics on the same axis and add them together]

I think this is referring to the original wave form that was generated in the excel spread sheet I attached in post 1 of this thread. I am a little confused by this and was wondering if you could possibly help me understand the question a little better. What exactly is it asking me to do? How can I add 2 waveforms together ??

Attachments

• Harmonics question.JPG
    Harmonics question.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,178
David J said:
"attempt to synthesise the shape of the original waveform from its principal harmonics [ eg sketch the waveforms of the harmonics on the same axis and add them together]
David J said:
I think this is referring to the original wave form that was generated in the excel spread sheet I attached in post 1 of this thread
Yeah, it sounds like it. If you just do a time domain plot of your B column versus your times in the A column, that will plot the original waveform.

You can try to reproduce that waveform by adding together the 3 sine waves (fundamental and harmonics) with the associated amplitudes from the Fourier plot and by adjusting their relative phases by hand. Or you could use the phase data from the Fourier analysis so you don't have to do the adjusting and adding by hand...

Hello again, well I had a go at this as you suggested and ended up with a somewhat different waveform which I am assuming to be the original. I attached the updated spreadsheet with this post. I tend to think this is correct. Do you think this is what the question was asking all along ??

Attachments

• Synthesised Wave form.xlsx
    51.7 KB · Views: 417

1. What is harmonic distortion in a current waveform?

Harmonic distortion in a current waveform refers to the presence of additional frequencies in the current waveform that are not part of the original signal. These frequencies, known as harmonics, can cause the current waveform to deviate from its ideal sinusoidal shape.

2. What causes harmonic distortion in a current waveform?

Harmonic distortion in a current waveform is primarily caused by non-linear components in the electrical system, such as power electronic devices and non-linear loads. These components introduce non-linearities in the current waveform, resulting in the generation of harmonics.

3. How does harmonic distortion affect electrical systems?

Harmonic distortion can have various negative effects on electrical systems, including increased heating and energy losses, reduced power quality, and interference with sensitive electronic equipment. It can also lead to voltage distortion and affect the performance of power distribution networks.

4. How is harmonic distortion measured and quantified?

Harmonic distortion is typically measured using a power quality analyzer, which measures the amplitude and frequency of each harmonic component in the current waveform. The total harmonic distortion (THD) is then calculated as the ratio of the root mean square (RMS) value of all harmonic components to the RMS value of the fundamental frequency.

5. How can harmonic distortion be mitigated?

Harmonic distortion can be mitigated through various methods, including using passive filters, active filters, and harmonic cancellation techniques. It is also important to properly design and size electrical systems to minimize the effects of harmonic distortion. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and address potential issues related to harmonic distortion.