Harmonic functions - complex analysis

In summary, if a complex-valued function f(z) = u + iv is analytic on a domain D, then both u and v are harmonic on that domain. This means that the second partial derivative of f with respect to x plus the second partial derivative of f with respect to y is equal to 0. If f(z) never vanishes on the domain, then log|f(z)| is also harmonic on the domain. This can be proven by using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions and the fact that u and v are harmonic functions.
sweetvirgogirl
so .. if f (z) = u + iv is analytic on D, then u and v are harmonic on D...
now ...
if f (z) never vanishes on the domain ...
then show log |f (z)| is harmonic on the domain ...
Recall: harmonic means second partial derivative of f with respect to x + second partial derivative of f with respect to y = 0

umm? did they mean to say that harmonic means second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to x + second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to y = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i mean in order to show log |f (z)| is harmonic on the domain, don't I need to prove second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to x + second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to y = 0?
I hope my question makes sense ...

umm bump ...

sweetvirgogirl said:
so .. if f (z) = u + iv is analytic on D, then u and v are harmonic on D...
now ...
if f (z) never vanishes on the domain ...
then show log |f (z)| is harmonic on the domain ...
Recall: harmonic means second partial derivative of f with respect to x + second partial derivative of f with respect to y = 0

umm? did they mean to say that harmonic means second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to x + second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to y = 0

Since that is the definition of "harmonic", yes, that's what they mean when they say "log |f(z)| is harmonic". Of course, you don't necessarily have to verify the definition to prove it. Since " if f (z) = u + iv is analytic on D, then u and v are harmonic on D... " you could instead find a v such that f(z)= log|f(z)|+ iv is analytic or a u such that f(z)= u+ log|f(z)|i is analytic. You might try to do that by using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions: u(x,y)+ iv(x,y) is analytic on D if and only if [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Since that is the definition of "harmonic", yes, that's what they mean when they say "log |f(z)| is harmonic". Of course, you don't necessarily have to verify the definition to prove it. Since " if f (z) = u + iv is analytic on D, then u and v are harmonic on D... " you could instead find a v such that f(z)= log|f(z)|+ iv is analytic or a u such that f(z)= u+ log|f(z)|i is analytic. You might try to do that by using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions: u(x,y)+ iv(x,y) is analytic on D if and only if [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= -\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex].
see .. .what i was tryina to do ... is ... prove that second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to x + second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to y = 0 ... of course it wasnt giving me happy result lol ...although it is technically right ...

ahhhhhh i still don't know how to do this problem ...

like i know ... but i don't ... basically i am confused

umm i still am confused

isnt it supposed to be a very simple problem?
why am i getting so confused?

sweetvirgogirl said:
see .. .what i was tryina to do ... is ... prove that second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to x + second partial derivative of log |f (z)| with respect to y = 0 ... of course it wasnt giving me happy result lol ...although it is technically right ...

So was it zero or not? If you post your work we will have an easier time troubleshooting.

shmoe said:
So was it zero or not? If you post your work we will have an easier time troubleshooting.
nope it wasnt zero... that's the problem!

btw it's kinda hard to post my work, did you get a zero for it?

i assure you it's not a homework problem ... lol

if i had time, i would scan my work, but i need to know how to do it by tomorrow.

sweetvirgogirl said:
btw it's kinda hard to post my work, ...

I don't see why it should be hard. If you aren't comfortable with latex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

you can just use the usual ascii characters- be carefull with using enough parenthesis to make it unambiguous though.

Just post what you had for the first and second derivatives for x and y.

According to "Mathworld"

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AnalyticFunction.html

A complex valued function is analytic in D if it is complex differentiable at every point in D.

Note that the log function is complex differentiable for the absolute value of every complex number not equal to 0. That is,

Log(z) in undefined when z = 0 and hence not differentiable when z = 0.

You are given the fact that |f(z)| is never 0, so |f(z)| is always a positive real number.

Log|f(z)| = Log|u + i*v| = Log[(u^2+v^2)^(1/2)]

Maybe you could use the fact that u and v are are harmonic functions, take the 2nd partial derivitives of Log[(u^2+v^2)^(1/2)], add them together to get 0 hence completing the proof.

Not sure if it will work, just a thought.

Best Regards,

Edwin G. Schasteen

1. What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a function that satisfies Laplace's equation, which states that the sum of the second derivatives of a function with respect to each variable is equal to 0. In other words, a harmonic function is one that has a constant rate of change at every point.

2. How are harmonic functions related to complex analysis?

Harmonic functions are closely related to complex analysis because they can be expressed as the real or imaginary part of a complex analytic function. This means that any harmonic function can be represented in terms of a complex variable, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

3. What are some common examples of harmonic functions?

Some common examples of harmonic functions include the electric potential in a region with no charges, the temperature distribution in a steady-state heat conduction problem, and the fluid velocity in a potential flow.

4. How are harmonic functions used in real-world applications?

Harmonic functions have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and electrical systems. They are also used in Fourier analysis, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and engineering.

5. What are some important properties of harmonic functions?

Some important properties of harmonic functions include the mean value property, which states that the value of a harmonic function at a given point is equal to the average of its values on any surrounding boundary, and the maximum principle, which states that the maximum value of a harmonic function occurs on the boundary of its domain.