Harmonic Oscillator wave function

In summary, the Wave function for the ground state of a quantum harmonic oscillator is (\alpha/\pi)^{1/4}e^{-\alpha x^2/2} where \alpha = \sqrt{mk/ \hbar^2}. Compute \Delta x \Delta p known: Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: \Delta p \Delta x >= \hbar/2. In order to compute \Delta x \Delta p, what do I need to do? any integral?Well done - but I think that is already known to science. Or did you have a further question about it?My question is how to find \Delta x \Delta p
diegoarmando
Uncertainty - Harmonic Oscillator

The Wave function for the ground state of a quantum harmonic oscillator is
[tex]
\psi=(\alpha/\pi)^{1/4}e^{-\alpha x^2/2}
[/tex] where [tex] \alpha = \sqrt{ mk/ \hbar^2} [/tex].

Compute [tex] \Delta x \Delta p [/tex]known:
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle:
[tex] \Delta p \Delta x >= \hbar/2[/tex]

In order to compute [tex] \Delta x \Delta p [/tex], what do I need to do? any integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - but I think that is already known to science.
Or did you have a further question about it?

My question is how to find [tex] \Delta x \Delta p [/tex]

You'll want to find the expectation values of x^2 and p^2 (since the expectation values of x and p are zero), and take their square roots. These are your deltas. So yes, you have to integrate to find <psi|x^2|psi> and <psi|p^2|psi>.

Just to be pedantic, [tex]\Delta x^2 = \langle x^2 \rangle - \langle x \rangle^2[/tex]. Just that in this case, [tex]\langle x \rangle = 0[/tex].

Thanks guys,
but how the <x> and <p> are zero, could you please help me for integral part, what is the limits of integral in this case?

The limits on the integral are +/- infinity. And both integrals have the general form of an integral of x*exp(-K*x^2). So the integrand is an odd function. It's integral is zero.

ok, I find [tex]<x^2> =1/2\alpha[/tex] what should I do for <p^2>
p=-i*hbar ?

Uh, p=-i*hbar*d/dx. You need to apply that operator twice to psi since you are finding <psi|p^2|psi>. Your <x^2> looks good.

Last edited:
I found [tex] \Delta x \Delta p=\hbar/\sqrt {2} [/tex]
which means [tex] \Delta x \Delta p[/tex] is independent from the value of alpha, what do you think? somehow I think I should have gotten [tex] \Delta x \Delta p=\hbar/2 [/tex]

You did really well, except yes, you should have gotten hbar/2. I did. Can you find the missing sqrt(2)? I can check intermediate results if you want to post them.

Thanks for the reply, I think I found the missing sqrt(2)

diegoarmando said:
Thanks for the reply, I think I found the missing sqrt(2)

Well done.

1. What is a Harmonic Oscillator wave function?

A Harmonic Oscillator wave function is a mathematical representation of the behavior of a particle in a harmonic potential. It describes the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a certain position and time in a harmonic oscillator system.

2. What is the significance of the Harmonic Oscillator in physics?

The Harmonic Oscillator is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to model a variety of physical systems, including atoms, molecules, and solids. It also plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How is the Harmonic Oscillator wave function derived?

The Harmonic Oscillator wave function is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It involves solving a second-order differential equation to obtain the wave function, which represents the allowed energy states of the harmonic oscillator system.

4. What are the main properties of a Harmonic Oscillator wave function?

The main properties of a Harmonic Oscillator wave function are that it is a complex-valued function, it is continuous and differentiable, and it is square integrable. It also has a Gaussian shape, with a peak at the center of the potential and decaying towards the edges.

5. How does the Harmonic Oscillator wave function change with different energy levels?

The energy levels of a Harmonic Oscillator system are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. As the energy level increases, the wave function becomes more spread out, and the probability of finding the particle at a certain position decreases. The number of nodes in the wave function also increases with higher energy levels.