A Has the Riemann hypothesis been proven?

I'm always somewhat weary of computer demonstrations of real numbers and infinite series, given the mantissa issue.

But yeah, that doesn't sound too good at all.

nrqed

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I just made a thread, "Atiyah's arithmetic physics", for discussing the physical aspect of his current ideas (which may in fact be the dominant aspect).
Are you sure we shouldn't merge the two threads? IMO they are too closely related to justify two of them.

martinbn

Science Advisor
If it wasn't for the name of the author I would say crackpot after the first two sentences and not bother any further.

Are you sure we shouldn't merge the two threads? IMO they are too closely related to justify two of them.
Atiyah's Arithmetic physics - while directly mentioned as a result of his talk/paper - is a physical theory, while the topic of this thread is the discussion of (the event of) Atiyah's purported proof of the RH.

That should be enough to justify a discussion on that physics topic alone... however for the moment, whether that physical theory exists or not seems to be all dependent upon his proof being correct, which is obviously what this thread is about.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
If it wasn't for the name of the author I would say crackpot after the first two sentences and not bother any further.
I remember a guest lecture from Konrad Zuse in the late 80's. The whole auditorium was packed and everybody wanted to hear some of those stories from the past. Instead he spoke about his current scientific work which was, sad to say this, neither interesting nor relevant. The entire event has been quite embarrassing in the end.

Some people on the internet blamed the organisation for allowing this to happen. Well, I had to think about the fact that we allow some persons even far more critical access to highly dangerous weapons without any checks of their mental status. I guess the reason is a similar one: nobody in town dares to tell the king that his new clothes aren't existent and he stands there naked.

I'm always somewhat weary of computer demonstrations of real numbers and infinite series, given the mantissa issue.

But yeah, that doesn't sound too good at all.
The integral has an exact solution and it is trivial to check the quick convergence of the series. If the value would differ at the 10th decimal place: Sure, who knows how reliable that is. But it is off by a factor of 1000. This is not a rounding issue. The formula is completely wrong.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
I am very baffled.

But what I read was this is a claim made by none other than Sir Atiyah himself and that he is planning to give a talk next week. So *if* the statement is true that it is a claim made by Atiyah, then it is of course an extremely serious and probably correct solution.

But I thought the web would be buzzing with this, especially here. So does anyone know more about this??
What happened with checking a proof for its contents and not its author?!

martinbn

Science Advisor

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Bullshit! Everyone should be scrutinized for their work and not for who they are.
That's not how the world works, despite the French revolutions. And it isn't b.s. If Atiyah writes a proof and you do for the same theorem, guess which one I will read!

Bullshit! Everyone should be scrutinized for their work and not for who they are.
That's not how the world works, despite the French revolutions. And it isn't b.s. If Atiyah writes a proof and you do for the same theorem, guess which one I will read!
Here we witness the empirical verification of Hume's law in vivo.