Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have an Integral that I can't seem to solve

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    So I am working on a problem for my quantum mechanics class and I cannot seem to figure out how to solve this integral. I have looked up tables and entered it into Wolfram and it doesn't give me anything that I can work with. The integral is as follows:

2aπ(cos(ak)+1)
    (a^2 k^2- π^2)^2

And the bounds are from -∞ to ∞
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the crappy equation layout, I'm not sure how to use LaTeX.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this integral perhaps:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{2aπ\; (cos(ak)+1)}{(a^2k^2-π^2)^2}dk$$ ?

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    yes, thak you!

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4
    It is a pretty standard integral in complex analysis, and it is quite easy if you knoe how to compute integrals using residuies. If you know residues, that is a standard excersize, but if you do not no complex analysis I do not know any "elementary" ways to compute it.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    Yeah I was told that by the TA for the class that I should look up residue theory, never heard of it until today. Kinda surprised that our professor would put a problem that required that considering every math class I've taken has never touched the subject. Thanks for the input!

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Residue theory is one of the standard topics covered in calculus of complex variables. It's usually something one encounters by at least second year of undergrad ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook