Have men been priced out of the dating market?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: what do you consider to be your personal observations?...that guys want to impress a woman because they think if a woman believes they are awesome, she surely will fall for him. +1
micromass said:
So either you are married (which you are) or evo is not a woman. This proves conclusively that evo's gender is not what we thought it was.
I thought this was a secret between the two of us. :redface:

P.S. don't tell WBN! He thinks I've just had a really bad headache. Besides, you keep him too busy with math. :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavabug said:
Perhaps I am biased, but I happen to think appearing insecure/not walking about with one's chest and chin high or similar confidence-exuding body language doesn't say anything about their suitability as a long-term partner. Anyone can train themselves to strut or maintain eye contact. I can think of many reasons for this appearance, but none of them are a direct impediment for being a caring partner or responsible father, which is what a lot of older frustrated single women complain about not being able to find. Like Ivan says, their 6th sense hasn't helped them much if more than half of the time they make partner choices they regret. Don't judge a book by its cover.
If it is true that being insecure actually says nothing about someone's suitability it is moot because women are attracted to an overall confidence/ lack of insecurity. Jim's post said:
jim hardy said:
I have come to believe women are equipped with a sixth sense.
Women can detect pretense, psychological barriers, and even self deception as if they were scents.

It doesn't say they have a sense for long term compatibility. Ivan is misinterpreting the function of the so called "6th sense".

Observant men also have a 6th sense in detecting spoiled women with apparent entitlement issues/unreasonable expectations. Many may get the idea (erroneously at times, but rarely in my experience) that some of them think they're too good to give them a minute of their time.
Men have all the "6th senses" women do, but more men tend to ignore them than not. However, what you describe here is not a "6th sense", rather it's what I've heard called "distain for what you cannot have", or "sour grapes". The fox in the fable could not reach the grapes so he decided they must be sour, and he wouldn't want them anyway.

Bacle2 said:
So , what is it then with all the (very many) women who date, or are attracted-to, convicts--convicted murderes, rapists even?
Some have been exploring this.

The seemingly bizarre idea of crushing on Tsarnaev, or any accused killer, though, is actually not so surprising, experts told Yahoo! Shine.

“It’s not that he’s a bomb suspect, it’s that he’s notorious,” Sheila Isenberg, author of “Women Who Love Men Who Kill,” explained. The hope with such women, she added, is that they’ll somehow be able to visit him and then get their 15 minutes of fame if they latch onto his—similar to those who fall in love with convicted criminals on death row. “A lot are going to say, ‘I just want to make sure he gets a fair trial,’” she said, “but that’s really window dressing for their inherent need to get famous themselves.”
. . . .
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...v-s-disturbing-female-fan-club-191627312.html

It seems to stem from insecurity and lack of self-worth or low self-esteem.

zoobyshoe said:
Men have all the "6th senses" women do, but more men tend to ignore them than not. However, what you describe here is not a "6th sense", rather it's what I've heard called "distain for what you cannot have", or "sour grapes". The fox in the fable could not reach the grapes so he decided they must be sour, and he wouldn't want them anyway.

That's a pretty sinister interpretation, but maybe there is some truth to it for some of the more bitter males. I really want a partner, but I can't get one. That doesn't mean I call everyone who rejects me an entitled spoiled b*tch or similar, just saying that males probably shouldn't be spending time on those that at first glance wouldn't realistically entertain a relationship with them.

Often IME, they make the right judgement. If they don't feel they're good enough to be desirable to them from the get-go, they're probably right. No amount of pickup artist psychology is going to change that. Suitability as a partner never enters the equation.

More from Astronuc's link:

“Similar to the fascination teen girls have with vampire characters in movies and books, dark characters are a way to forge a separate identity and to defiantly (or rebelliously) declare oneself as independent of authority figures,” she noted. “Some of this is normal teen development, but being drawn to a criminal is a dysfunctional way to forge independence.”

She added that girls who are hyper-socialized “toward caring about the feelings of others to the expense of their own are more easily drawn to relationships with dysfunctional or even sociopathic men,” and have difficulty seeing that certain men are simply unhealthy.

Have men been priced out of the dating market?
If I still were a (RL-)"dating market" participant I would consider discussing questions like this in spring a waste of time - there are public pools, street cafes etc open, and last not least supermarkets(!), where one can practice instead of hypothesizing.
And - most amazingly - there is even real life in public transports aside of dating "apps" people spend their time playing with while commuting.

You're right men spend their time too long overthinking gaming while they should go out in the real world and practive however it is not that simple: the fear of approach and fear of rejection are emotions which can be overwhelming when it comes to dating.

This blocks most men getting to where they want with women. In addition, these fears aren't easily to overcome. Aks yourself how many times you've seen a guy approaching a women in public and seducing her? I rarely have seen it.

The reality is that women want a guy "that has something going on." Get it?

I've been trying to pick up stray women for 20 years, that's my conclusion. I really should charge you guys for this advise.

DiracPool said:
The reality is that women want a guy "that has something going on." Get it?

not sure what you mean

dirk_mec1 said:
You're right men spend their time too long overthinking gaming while they should go out in the real world and practive however it is not that simple: the fear of approach and fear of rejection are emotions which can be overwhelming when it comes to dating.

This blocks most men getting to where they want with women. In addition, these fears aren't easily to overcome. Aks yourself how many times you've seen a guy approaching a women in public and seducing her? I rarely have seen it.

I can understand that approaching random women in a public place is scary and perhaps overwhelming, but it's exactly how I met my wife. If you're not willing to take the risk, then don't complain but not having success. It's as simple as that.

MarneMath said:
I can understand that approaching random women in a public place is scary and perhaps overwhelming, but it's exactly how I met my wife. If you're not willing to take the risk, then don't complain but not having success. It's as simple as that.

What's not to get? Women want a guy that has something going on...

What is that? Doesn't matter, as long as it's "going on"

MarneMath said:

Yes, you're right I agree with you but I'm sure you'll also understand that most guys just do not do it. See my earlier post where I posed the question how many of you actually see somebody do it. Like I said earlier it is not so easy to deal with the fears of approach and rejection.

Thus I don't think men are priced out of the dating market it's just two important fears making the succes impossible.

It's sad how many guys think you need money to date women.

I won't deny that some women are looking for a guy with money , but very few of them are actually worth it.

There's a very long list of qualities and attributes that can charm women.It depends what the woman in question is looking for.

Last edited:
We can flip the tagline around and make it sound positive. "Women are no longer priced out of the not-dating game"

reenmachine said:
It's sad how many guys think you need money to date women.

I won't deny that some women are looking for a guy with money , but very few of them are actually worth it.

There's a very long list of qualities and attributes that can charm women.It depends what the woman in question is looking for.

I'm not saying that you have to be a millionaire to attract hot women, but the fact is that any hot woman has enough options that she can at least marry an anesthesiologist who makes $300k/yr.

Jamin2112 said:
I'm not saying that you have to be a millionaire to attract hot women, but the fact is that any hot woman has enough options that she can at least marry an anesthesiologist who makes $300k/yr.
But a lot of "hot women" are looking for a normal guy and don't consider money because they make a lot of money. It not like it was 40 years ago where women needed money. Only needy women look for men as a source of income. And you don't want a needy woman.

Evo said:
But a lot of "hot women" are looking for a normal guy and don't consider money because they make a lot of money.

A lot?

Jamin2112 said:

Sometimes love doesn't work that way.It's THAT girl that you like more than all others.It's the same for women with men.That girl or that guy might not make 300k a year.

People that date someone only because of money have no clue what they are doing and what they really want.I refuse to believe this is healthy behavior , unless you happen to love that rich guy/girl.

You actually sleep with the person everyday , that's something I wouldn't do for any amount of money unless I really liked the girl.

Last edited:
Jamin2112 said:

A woman may have options, but doesn't mean that she has to pick an option based on what you think is important. Some people on this forum have seen a picture of my wife and probably rate her as rather attractive. When I met her, she was dating a guy who drove a BMW 7 series, and probably made more in a year than I would in 5. At the time, I was a lowly sergeant in the Army. I had no plans to change that. Yet, she left the life of the rich and famous in NYC to live with me in the oh-so-awesome Savannah Georgia (actually an hour south of Savannah.)

In the end, if you can make a girl happy, you'll find how quickly money drops in importance. I may never be able to buy my wife everything she ever dreamed of, but I did make ever piece of furniture in our house and to her the effort I put into try to get her to smile is worth more than that BMW that guy had.

I need to find a man with a BMW. Maybe I can get my college tuition paid off and also get the new xbox.

Jamin2112 said:
A lot?
Six figures and up.

MarneMath said:
A woman may have options, but doesn't mean that she has to pick an option based on what you think is important. Some people on this forum have seen a picture of my wife and probably rate her as rather attractive. When I met her, she was dating a guy who drove a BMW 7 series, and probably made more in a year than I would in 5. At the time, I was a lowly sergeant in the Army. I had no plans to change that. Yet, she left the life of the rich and famous in NYC to live with me in the oh-so-awesome Savannah Georgia (actually an hour south of Savannah.)

In the end, if you can make a girl happy, you'll find how quickly money drops in importance. I may never be able to buy my wife everything she ever dreamed of, but I did make ever piece of furniture in our house and to her the effort I put into try to get her to smile is worth more than that BMW that guy had.
You come across here as having a great personality, slow to anger, you use your brains. Women like that,

WannabeNewton said:
I need to find a man with a BMW. Maybe I can get my college tuition paid off and also get the new xbox.

Is that a proposition, wbn? :wink:

DiracPool said:
Is that a proposition, wbn? :wink:
If you have a BMW then I'm ready for you to get on your knees.

WannabeNewton said:

Alright, sorry I encouraged this, Can we get back to the science?

Last edited:
You beast. I apologize, I couldn't resist.

WannabeNewton said:

Ummmm I think the usual arrangement in this type of scenario has a different person getting on their knees :uhh:

Office_Shredder said:
Ummmm I think the usual arrangement in this type of scenario has a different person getting on their knees :uhh:

:rofl: That's what I love about PF, people are so smart here

Office_Shredder said:
Or does it? DUN DUN DUUUN

MarneMath said:

A good story and one people here should pay attention to.

I see too many guys posting here with the certainty they're screwed vis a vis women because of some ridiculous preconception they've bought into about what all women want. I've personally broken all those barriers. I've had girlfriends taller than me, richer than me, better looking than me. Whatever criteria women say they have is always tentative, subject to change depending on actual overall "chemistry".

zoobyshoe said:
A good story and one people here should pay attention to.

I see too many guys posting here with the certainty they're screwed vis a vis women because of some ridiculous preconception they've bought into about what all women want. I've personally broken all those barriers. I've had girlfriends taller than me, richer than me, better looking than me. Whatever criteria women say they have is always tentative, subject to change depending on actual overall "chemistry".

That's pretty much it, women love to have that option of changing their mind. Makes me really frustrated after I bought them the diamonds and now they want pearls!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xij53e_prince-diamonds-and-pearls_people#.UbBio5rn_IU

Last edited by a moderator:
MarneMath said:
I may never be able to buy my wife everything she ever dreamed of, but I did make ever piece of furniture in our house and to her the effort I put into try to get her to smile is worth more than that BMW that guy had.

awwww <3

MarneMath said:
Your wife sounds lucky to have you. :approve:

In a sudden fit of enthusiasm, I got on a number of the more popular social/dating sites in my area. Anyone who has never done this before will find something quite telling. As a lower bound, there are 4 times as many ads from males than there are from females, and most of them seem like legit, real people. Almost all of the female ads are prostitute or scam ads. You'll find even worse statistics in random pair-up webcam chat rooms intended to meet people (certainly NSFW... I found out the hard way :S).

Oh, and well though this wasn't new to me, the biggest/oldest paid dating site in my part of the world (the equivalent of okcupid or similar) charges male members exclusively. Females pay no fees for contacting male members.

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:

I found your mate right in my hometown:

http://www.datanta.es/user-view_user-141708.html

It's a Mercedes, but close enough!