How can I find the roots of a polynomial like x^3-7x+6?

• Thread starter Cetullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, there are multiple ways to find the roots of a cubic equation, including plugging in obvious numbers, using the bisection method, and using the general equation or the Rational Root Theorem.
Cetullah
Hello dear Physics Forums users.

I m currently studying some Integrals from a book which my elder brother studied with years ago, and one of the problems had the denominator:

x^3-7x+6

Well, I m sure that's over my level, and teacher will never ask this, but in the solution it says its roots are x=1, x=2 and x=-3, without showing the steps, or saying how he found them.

Wondering what the steps were, I typed the question at WolframAlpha, and it weirdly said step by step solution is unavailable.

Can somebody show me a formula or a way to find the roots in such a question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cetullah said:
Hello dear Physics Forums users.

I m currently studying some Integrals from a book which my elder brother studied with years ago, and one of the problems had the denominator:

x^3-7x+6

Well, I m sure that's over my level, and teacher will never ask this, but in the solution it says its roots are x=1, x=2 and x=-3, without showing the steps, or saying how he found them.

Wondering what the steps were, I typed the question at WolframAlpha, and it weirdly said step by step solution is unavailable.

Can somebody show me a formula or a way to find the roots in such a question?

In classroom settings, just plugging in obvious numbers often works. You can see right away that x = 1 works. 1 - 7 + 6 = 0. When confronted with a cubic or higher polynomial, always plug in x = 0, 1, -1 first thing.

Hmm... I see. Will keep that in mind, thanks :)

It would also be good to know some formal solution if there is one though :)

There is no simple equivelent to the quadratic forumula for finding roots of a cubic equation. The sure fire method would be to graph the equation. This is now so easy, using a spreadsheet, that there is no real reason not to do it.

Then look up something called the bisection method of root finding. Using that you can, starting from a rough guess on a graph, refine to any desired number of decimal places.

I see...thanks for the answers guys :)

I'll add here, just for completeness' sake, that there is a general equation to find the zeros of a cubic. However it's so nasty that it makes you understand why some people don't like math. I'll link to a page that has the formula, but I'll say I don't recommend actually using it. I'd do what Integral suggested, just saying this to expand knowledge.

http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

First, whenever you look for a root, have the rational root test in your head. Specifically the only integer roots possible are the factors of the constant.

The cubic ##x^3+px+q## has extra structure you can exploit:
  • if ##p + \frac{q}{k} = -k^2## then k is a root,
  • if ##p - \frac{q}{k} = -k^2## then -k is a root.

What causes problems with roots?

Problems with roots can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor soil quality, waterlogging, lack of nutrients, pests and diseases, and over or under-watering.

How can I improve the health of my plant's roots?

To improve the health of your plant's roots, ensure that they are planted in well-draining soil, provide adequate water and nutrients, inspect for and treat any pests or diseases, and avoid over or under-watering.

Why are my plant's roots turning brown?

Brown roots can be a sign of root rot, which is caused by over-watering or waterlogging. It can also be a sign of nutrient deficiencies or root damage from pests or diseases.

Can I save a plant with root problems?

In some cases, it is possible to save a plant with root problems. This may involve repotting the plant in fresh, well-draining soil, treating any pests or diseases, and adjusting watering and nutrient levels. However, if the root damage is severe, it may not be possible to save the plant.

How can I prevent root problems in my plants?

To prevent root problems, it is important to provide the proper growing conditions for your plants. This includes using well-draining soil, providing adequate water and nutrients, regularly inspecting for pests and diseases, and avoiding over or under-watering.