1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble calculating reaction forces for this truss.

1. May 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate reaction forces for truss. Truss is attached in picture.

2. Relevant equations

ΣFx=o
    ΣFy=0
    ΣM about reaction point=0
    3. The attempt at a solution
    attached in picture

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately, the attached images are almost entirely illegible. :frown:

If you want some help, either write out your calculations or post better images. :wink:

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    This truss is statically determinate now, and should be solvable, right? That is why I don't understand why I am having trouble solving for the support reactions.

Attached Files:

5. May 9, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What makes you think this truss is statically determinate? You're still trying to calculate four reactions using only two equations of statics.

6. May 9, 2016 #5
    I
    I have 4 equations Sum of forces in y direction and the

7. May 9, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your last post came out garbled. Can you repeat?

8. May 9, 2016 #7
    I have more than 2 equations, I have sum of forces in y and sum of moments about any of the supports. It is statically determinate because 2 (11 joints)=17 members+5 reactions. What do you mean by 2 equations of statics?

9. May 9, 2016 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can write only one equation involving the sum of the forces and one equation summing the moments about one convenient reference point.

You cannot write, for example, one moment equation where you sum moments about point A and another equation where you sum moments about point H.

This beam is statically determinate:

simple-beam-dist-load.png

This beam is statically indeterminate:

upload_2016-5-9_8-26-53.png

Both beams are loaded in a similar fashion, except the latter beam requires an extra equation in addition to the equations of static equilibrium in order to solve for the reactions at the supports. In the case of the latter beam, we must know how the beam deflects under load, and we cannot calculate that unless we know some additional structural details beyond the spacing of the supports.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted