Determine the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E

Moved from a technical forum, no template.
Problem: Determine the magnitude of the vertical clamping force at E in terms of the force P applied to the handle of the toggle clamp.
Picture:
media%2Fdad%2Fdad30f90-a6cb-4dd1-b40f-e2fc66b6ffbd%2Fphp7wuVlp.png

I separated the machine into different parts and tried using ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0, but I can't seem to get the equations to link up to each other. Any help?

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
Welcome to PF.
I can't see the picture, server not found. Posted address is wrong. Drag and drop your image onto PF browser.
Is this a homework problem?

Welcome to PF.
I can't see the picture, server not found. Posted address is wrong. Drag and drop your image onto PF browser.
Is this a homework problem?
Are you able to see the picture now? And yes this is a homework problem!

Baluncore
Science Advisor
Yes.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I separated the machine into different parts and tried using ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0, but I can't seem to get the equations to link up to each other. Any help?
Show us your work. We need to see your attempt before the homework helpers help.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
First understand the mechanism. It is called an “over-centre” clamp.
Find and experiment with some locking pliers; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_pliers
Follow the over-center link to; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_point_(physics)

Notice that as the point C passes through the straight line between B and D, the force multiplication will change sign and momentarily approach infinity.

You might solve the problem as an approximation.
The first step could be Force Cy = Force Py * 130mm / 18mm
The final step could be; Force Ey = Force Dx * 10mm / 70mm
The angle of the link vector B-C will translate the vertical component Cy into horizontal component Dx.

Last edited: