1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble finding the horizontal velocity of the object rolling down a ramp

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the horizontal velocity of an object on a ramp where the first height is 5.0m and the second height is 3.0m? I also need to find the time it takes to fall from the ramp, and the distance it falls away from the ramp. I am only given the two heights, an initial velocity of 0, and of course I have gravity.

2. Relevant equations
    ep=mgh
    ek=0.5mv2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure where to start even.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I can see your dilemma - I think you need the either the angle of, or the length of, the ramp.

It is fine to use energy considerations to calculate how fast the object [presumably sliding down a frictionless ramp] will be travelling when it leaves the lower end of the ramp, but without an angle you are stumped - other than to derive an answer which includes a variable like θ which could represent the angle of the ramp.

I assume frictionless, as any friction would complicate matters, and also assume sliding not rolling, as angular momentum/energy would otherwise affect the answer.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    Does anybody know if it would work to use the kinematic equation vf2 = vi2 +2ad? I have all the variables to solve for final velocity. But I'm not sutre if it's different because it applies to a curved ramp. Plus this is in the work/energy unit so i don't know why my teacher would want me using that. I'm uber confused. This would be so much easier if I had mass.

5. Jul 18, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

Are you saying this ramp is curved?

Does the object leave the ramp travelling horizontally?

You definitely don't need the mass of the object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook