Having trouble normalizing wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normalizing constant A for the wave function of the electron in a hydrogen atom and the difficulties in calculating the integral that involves the wave function. The conversation also mentions the different conventions for spherical polar coordinates and the use of the gamma function in solving the integral.
klaustukast
Electron in hydrogen atom is defined by this wave function :
Ψ(r,ϑ,φ)=Ar2exp(-2r/a)cos2(ϑ)exp(-3iφ)
proton is in the center of the coordinate system.a is a known positive constant.
I'm trying to find normalizing constant A.
Ψ*(r,ϑ,φ)=Ar2exp(-2r/a)cos2(ϑ)exp(3iφ)
I get that ∫∫∫(ψ*)ψdV=1.
dV=r2sinϑ dr dϑ dφ
i get ∫∫∫A2r6exp(-4r/a)cos4(ϑ)*sin(ϑ) dr dϑ dφ (integrals are definite 0 to π,0 to 2π and 0 to infinity) If I calculate this I should get a constant and get A from that.
Problem I'm having is calculating ∫dr(integral is from zero to infinity) part cause I get ∫(r^6exp(-4r/a))dr which is infinity if I put in infinity.Am I doing something incorrectly or is the given equation Ψ wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
klaustukast said:
part cause I get ∫(r^6 exp(-4r/a))dr which is infinity if I put in infinity.
What do you mean by "put in infinity"? Please be explicit and show your work.

Orodruin said:
What do you mean by "put in infinity"? Please be explicit and show your work.
Integral is definite from zero to infinity.

Again, please show your work.

Orodruin said:
Again, please show your work.
∫(r^6 exp(-4r/a))dr =
a*exp(-4r/a)*(256x6 + 384ax5 + 480a2x4 + 480a3x3 + 360a4x2 + 180a5x+45a6)/1024 and then I try to put in 0 and infinity cause its definite integral. And as you can see putting in infinity doesn't give me a constant so i can't find A. It gives me nonsense.

klaustukast said:
And as you can see putting in infinity doesn't give me a constant so i can't find A.
The upper bound of the integral is defined as the limit when ##r \to \infty##. What happens to your integrated expression in that limit?

(Also, note that you have a overall sign error.)

Orodruin said:
The upper bound of the integral is defined as the limit when ##r \to \infty##. What happens to your integrated expression in that limit?

(Also, note that you have a overall sign error.)
I posted wrong integral sorry. Correct one =-a*exp(-4r/a)*(256r6 + 384ar5 + 480a2r4 + 480a3r3 + 360a4r2 + 180a5r+45a6)/1024
If my r goes to infinity in this case its undefined right?

Last edited by a moderator:
klaustukast said:
Electron in hydrogen atom is defined by this wave function :
Ψ(r,ϑ,φ)=Ar2exp(-2r/a)cos2(ϑ)exp(-3iφ)
proton is in the center of the coordinate system.a is a known positive constant.
I'm trying to find normalizing constant A.
Ψ*(r,ϑ,φ)=Ar2exp(-2r/a)cos2(ϑ)exp(3iφ)
I get that ∫∫∫(ψ*)ψdV=1.
dV=r2sinϑ dr dϑ dφ
i get ∫∫∫r6exp(-4r/a)cos4(ϑ)*sin(ϑ) dr dϑ dφ (integrals are definite 0 to π,0 to 2π and 0 to infinity) If I calculate this I should get a constant and get A from that.
Problem I'm having is calculating ∫dr(integral is from zero to infinity) part cause I get ∫(r^6 =-exp(-4r/a))dra*exp(-4r/a)*(256r6 + 384ar5 + 480a2r4 + 480a3r3 + 360a4r2 + 180a5r+45a6)/1024 which is infinity if I put in infinity.Am I doing something incorrectly or is the given equation Ψ wrong?

There are two different conventions for spherical polar coordinates: (1) ##\theta## is the polar angle (latitude) and ##\phi## equatorial angle (longitude); or (2) ##\theta## is the equatorial angle (longitude) and ##\phi## is the polar angle (latitude). Convention (1) is used in most physics books and papers, while (2) is often used in math books and papers.

Which convention are you employing?

Ray Vickson said:
There are two different conventions for spherical polar coordinates: (1) ##\theta## is the polar angle (latitude) and ##\phi## equatorial angle (longitude); or (2) ##\theta## is the equatorial angle (longitude) and ##\phi## is the polar angle (latitude). Convention (1) is used in most physics books and papers, while (2) is often used in math books and papers.

Doesnt matter for my problem

klaustukast said:
I posted wrong integral sorry. Correct one =-a*exp(-4r/a)*(256r6 + 384ar5 + 480a2r4 + 480a3r3 + 360a4r2 + 180a5r+45a6)/1024
If my r goes to infinity in this cases its undefined right?
Not right. What goes to infinity faster, exp(kr) or r^n (for fixed numbers k and n both > 0).

Ray Vickson said:

This is not really relevant for the r-integral, which is what the OP is currently struggling with.

Regardless, the convention is clear from the expressions (physics convention).

Likes klaustukast
Orodruin said:
Not right. What goes to infinity faster, exp(kr) or r^n (for fixed numbers k and n both > 0).This is not really relevant for the r-integral, which is what the OP is currently struggling with.

Thanks, I've got it.

klaustukast said:
Thanks, I've got it.
Would you mind sharing your solution? Others might havd the same question and forum rules prevent discussing the full solution until it is clear that you have solved it.

Orodruin said:
Would you mind sharing your solution? Others might havd the same question and forum rules prevent discussing the full solution until it is clear that you have solved it.
Since exp goes to infinity faster I get zero.And from bottom bound: when I put in zero I get 45a7/1024

Right, that is correct.

Now, for completeness, there is a way of computing the integral without finding the explicit primitive function. Namely to do the variable substitution ##x = 4r/a##. This leads to the integral
$$
\int_0^\infty r^6 e^{-4r/a}dr = \frac{a^7}{2^{14}} \int_0^\infty x^6 e^{-x}dx =\frac{a^7}{2^{14} }\Gamma(7) =\frac{6! a^7}{2^{14}} = \frac{45a^7}{1024}.
$$
Of course, this requires familiarity with the gamma function, but it is a good idea to get familiar with it as a physicist.

Likes klaustukast
Orodruin said:
Not right. What goes to infinity faster, exp(kr) or r^n (for fixed numbers k and n both > 0).This is not really relevant for the r-integral, which is what the OP is currently struggling with.

Yes, of course, I can guess. But why should I have to?

Ray Vickson said:
Yes, of course, I can guess. But why should I have to?
I don't think it is necessary to guess. It is directly evident from the volume element (or the form of the spherical harmonic if you are so inclined). Besides, it is not really relevant to the OP’s issues presented in this thread - only the radial integral was. So no, I did not have to guess to help the OP with his problem. The answer would have been the same regardless of the convention.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a system. It is used to predict the probability of finding a particle in a certain location or state.

2. Why is normalizing a wave function important?

Normalizing a wave function ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is equal to 1. This is necessary for the wave function to accurately describe the system.

3. What does it mean to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function means to adjust its mathematical form so that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is equal to 1. This is done by dividing the wave function by a normalization constant.

4. How do you normalize a wave function?

To normalize a wave function, you need to calculate the normalization constant by finding the square root of the integral of the absolute square of the wave function. Then, you divide the wave function by this constant.

5. What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it means that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible states is not equal to 1. This can lead to incorrect predictions and is not a valid representation of the quantum system.