Integration help with normalizing wave function

Then you'll be able to integrate and you'll see that the two integrals give the same result.In summary, the conversation discusses the normalization and solution for the equation ψ(x,t) = Ae-λxe-iwt. The attempt at a solution involves integrating from -∞ to ∞, but the solution manual only goes from 0 to ∞ and obtains a finite non-zero answer. The mistake is that the integral should be taken with absolute values, and breaking it into parts yields the same result as the solution manual.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

ψ(x,t) = Ae-λxe-iwt

Normalize this and solve for A

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}|ψ|2dx = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to A2[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}e^{-2λx}dx[/itex]

The solution manual multiplies it by 2 and only goes from 0 to ∞ instead of from -∞ to ∞. I'm trying to do it from -∞ to ∞ and I should get the same answer as the manual, but I'm not. They get a finite non-zero answer, but integrating what I got to, I have [itex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}e^{-2λx}[/itex] and now, plugging in the limits of integration in for x, it will give me infinity as the answer.
Anyone see where I made a mistake? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I got to A2[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}e^{-2λx}dx[/itex]

The solution manual multiplies it by 2 and only goes from 0 to ∞ instead of from -∞ to ∞. I'm trying to do it from -∞ to ∞ and I should get the same answer as the manual, but I'm not. They get a finite non-zero answer, but integrating what I got to, I have [itex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}e^{-2λx}[/itex] and now, plugging in the limits of integration in for x, it will give me infinity as the answer.
Anyone see where I made a mistake? Thanks.
The integral as written above is infinite. It is not the same as integrating from ##0## to ##\infty## and multiplying by ##2##. Just plot the integrand to see this. If the integrand were ##e^{-2\lambda |x|}## (with absolute values) then it would be true.

jbunniii said:
The integral as written above is infinite. It is not the same as integrating from ##0## to ##\infty## and multiplying by ##2##. Just plot the integrand to see this. If the integrand were ##e^{-2\lambda |x|}## (with absolute values) then it would be true.

It is supposed to be absolute value. I keep forgetting about that. But now I'm getting 0 as the answer, since the ∞ in the exponent will make it look like this when I evaluate the integral over the limits:

[tex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}[e^{-2λ∞}-e^{-2λ∞}][/tex]

Which is just

[tex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}[0 - 0][/tex]

Which equals 0.

I know I'm doing something wrong, though.

Thanks for the response.

leroyjenkens said:
It is supposed to be absolute value. I keep forgetting about that. But now I'm getting 0 as the answer, since the ∞ in the exponent will make it look like this when I evaluate the integral over the limits:

[tex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}[e^{-2λ∞}-e^{-2λ∞}][/tex]
What integral did you perform? What were the upper and lower limits?

jbunniii said:
What integral did you perform? What were the upper and lower limits?

Upper limit was ∞ and lower was -∞. I plug them in for x, and since it's the absolute value of x, they're both just ∞, which means it turns to 0.

leroyjenkens said:
Upper limit was ∞ and lower was -∞. I plug them in for x, and since it's the absolute value of x, they're both just ∞, which means it turns to 0.
So you are trying to perform this integral:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx$$
Because of the absolute value, you can't evaluate the integral without breaking it into parts. (If you believe otherwise, then you need to produce an antiderivative for ##e^{-2\lambda|x|}##.) Try writing it this way:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx =
\int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx$$
Next step: simplify the integrand in each case by replacing ##|x|## with something simpler.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle that describes its position, momentum, and other physical properties. It is used in quantum mechanics to predict the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. Why is normalizing a wave function important?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. This is necessary for the wave function to accurately represent the quantum state of the particle.

3. What is the process of normalizing a wave function?

The process of normalizing a wave function involves finding the normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of the wave function squared over all possible values. This constant is then multiplied by the original wave function to obtain the normalized wave function.

4. Can a non-normalized wave function be used to make predictions?

No, a non-normalized wave function cannot be used to make accurate predictions. This is because the total probability of finding a particle in any location would not be equal to 1, which would lead to incorrect predictions.

5. How is normalization related to the uncertainty principle?

The normalization of a wave function is related to the uncertainty principle because it ensures that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known with absolute certainty. Normalization allows for the existence of a range of possible positions and momenta, in accordance with the uncertainty principle.