1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration help with normalizing wave function

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ψ(x,t) = Ae-λxe-iwt

Normalize this and solve for A

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}|ψ|2dx = 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got to A2[itex]\int_{-∞}^{∞}e^{-2λx}dx[/itex]

The solution manual multiplies it by 2 and only goes from 0 to ∞ instead of from -∞ to ∞. I'm trying to do it from -∞ to ∞ and I should get the same answer as the manual, but I'm not. They get a finite non-zero answer, but integrating what I got to, I have [itex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}e^{-2λx}[/itex] and now, plugging in the limits of integration in for x, it will give me infinity as the answer.
    Anyone see where I made a mistake? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral as written above is infinite. It is not the same as integrating from ##0## to ##\infty## and multiplying by ##2##. Just plot the integrand to see this. If the integrand were ##e^{-2\lambda |x|}## (with absolute values) then it would be true.

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3
    It is supposed to be absolute value. I keep forgetting about that. But now I'm getting 0 as the answer, since the ∞ in the exponent will make it look like this when I evaluate the integral over the limits:

[tex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}[e^{-2λ∞}-e^{-2λ∞}][/tex]

Which is just

[tex]-\frac{A^{2}}{2λ}[0 - 0][/tex]

Which equals 0.

I know I'm doing something wrong, though.

Thanks for the response.

5. Jan 12, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What integral did you perform? What were the upper and lower limits?

6. Jan 12, 2014 #5
    Upper limit was ∞ and lower was -∞. I plug them in for x, and since it's the absolute value of x, they're both just ∞, which means it turns to 0.

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you are trying to perform this integral:
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx$$
    Because of the absolute value, you can't evaluate the integral without breaking it into parts. (If you believe otherwise, then you need to produce an antiderivative for ##e^{-2\lambda|x|}##.) Try writing it this way:
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx =
    \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx$$
    Next step: simplify the integrand in each case by replacing ##|x|## with something simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted