Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble with engineering mecheanics

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    I am a freshman in mechanical engineering and am having lots of trouble in getting to understand the basic concepts of Engineering Mechanics. Could anyone suggest some good websites which start from the basic? Also i would like to know how important this subject is.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2
    The best book in my view is by Timeshenko and Young. Singer is for advanced learners. The subject is so important that you will find atleast one application a day when you come to job. Moreover, the subject will give an outlook which is essential for a mechanical engineer.

I don't know any websites but the book I suggested will give you the required basic knowledge. Dig into solving the problems and you will really enjoy the subject.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Quark,
    What edition do you own?

5. Aug 19, 2005 #4
    Try Halliday/Resnick/Walker - Fundimantals of Physics. The book is the guru for undergrad engineering physics all across the World.

6. Aug 20, 2005 #5
    how important is this? I would say it is one of the most important aspects of your engginering education.

7. Aug 21, 2005 #6
    Thanks for ur suggestions.

8. Aug 21, 2005 #7
    Fred,

I have 4th edition of (1988, I think 34th reprint) Timoshenko and Young. I used to refer Singer from the library.

Shan,

Nenad has given you an excellent suggestion. Infact I was about to tell the same thing. Get your physics basics strong by Resnick and Halliday and you will never have to look back.

9. Aug 24, 2005 #8
    I use Hibbeler or Johnston-beer, both are almost identical and equally GOOD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?