1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heads or tails? (Question from Feynman lectures)

Tags:
  1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    I have been going through feynmans lectures on probability and have a few questions that i can't answer ; in the part regarding fluctuations he introduces us to tree diagrams(pascals triangle ) and gives an example regarding the toss of a coin
    If we consider the no. Of tosses as n and no. Of heads as k then it can be given as
    ( n) n!
    ( k ) = ----
    k!(n-k)!

I know that n! Represents n factorial and the fact that probability is generally
    Given by
    Probability = highest estimate of an event
    ----------------------------
    Total no. Of events
    However what i dont get is why do we multiply k! By (n-k)! Souldnt it be n! In the denominator and k! In the numerator ?
    I know it has something to do with the triangle however unable to figure it out

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2
    The equation is (n)= n!
    (k) -----
    k!(

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    The equation is (n)= n!
    -----
    k!(n-k)!

5. Sep 5, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're actually asking, I think, about how many ways you can get ##k## heads from ##n## coin tosses. And why the answer is ##\frac{n!}{(n-k)! k!}##

You could start by taking ##n = 5##, say, and counting all the ways you can get ##k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4## and ##5##.

Then see whether that fits the formula, and why.

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    BTW (just in case anyone is interested), this was not Feynman's lecture, but Matt Sands' lecture. Feynman had to go out of town on some business for a week, so Matt Sands gave the lectures that became FLP Vol. I Chapters 5 and 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook