Health risks of ABS FDM (3d printing)

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks of FDM airborne byproducts and the measures taken to mitigate them. The only known risk is posed by ABS, but it is advised to assume all materials have an associated risk. It is possible to design a filtered exhaust system within a budget of $500, but the type of filter needed depends on whether the air is being vented externally or recirculated. A charcoal filter is only necessary for recirculated air and will need to be replaced regularly. The design parameters for flow rate in cm^3/min cannot be determined without knowing the rate of production of byproducts. Further research is needed to fully understand the risks and ensure safety in 3D printing.
jamesson
TL;DR Summary
How well understood are health risks of inhaled byproducts of 3d printing? Can they be mitigated with proper exhaust systems?
This is not the first study I've seen discussing potential risks of FDM airborne byproducts. It's the reason I bought a fully enclosed unit. However, it's in my home which at the moment is extremely small. It's less than a meter away from both my workbench and my sleeping area. While the unit is fully enclosed, the enclosure is not airtight or exhausted, much less filtered.

1) From what I understand, the only known risk is posed by ABS. Is the risk negligible for other materials? If not, which materials are also risky?

2) Is it technically and financially (max budget $500) feasible to try to design a filtered exhaust system? Would activated charcoal filters, for example, of the type used in soldering fume extractors, be effective?

3) For both filtered and unfiltered exhausts, what is a sane design parameter for flow rate in cm^3/min?

4) Again, given a budget of $500, is it feasible to design an electronic detector for byproducts of one or more mediums?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
jamesson said:
1) From what I understand, the only known risk is posed by ABS. Is the risk negligible for other materials? If not, which materials are also risky?
Assume all materials have an associated risk. Research those you might use.

jamesson said:
2) Is it technically and financially (max budget $500) feasible to try to design a filtered exhaust system? Would activated charcoal filters, for example, of the type used in soldering fume extractors, be effective?
Yes. But do you want to vent externally or recirculate the air? A charcoal filter is really only needed if you recirculate the air. You will also need to change the filter regularly.

jamesson said:
4) Again, given a budget of $500, is it feasible to design an electronic detector for byproducts of one or more mediums?
Maybe an optical laser, monitor the back scatter.
You must characterise the material you are trying to detect.

Likes russ_watters and theycallmevirgo
Thanks for your advice, I accidentally posted this under an old account because I was tired. So, in terms of displacement for an exhausted system, you don't think you can give a value of cm^3/min without knowing rate of production of byproduct?

There are simply too many parameters and possibilities. What quality feed? How many kg per hour? As the article you linked summed it up...
"These risks are manageable, but the only way we can protect ourselves is to know they exist. The authors are confident that 3D printing will continue to enjoy wider popularity in the future, so more in-depth research is needed to uncover all sides of the story in order to make the most of it while keeping people and the environment healthy and safe."

Likes theycallmevirgo
theycallmevirgo said:
So, in terms of displacement for an exhausted system, you don't think you can give a value of cm^3/min without knowing rate of production of byproduct?
As he said, if you are exhausting the air, you don't need to know anything about what is in it, because you won't be breathing it. All you need is enough to keep the enclosure negatively pressurized.

But you've said nothing at all specific here, so we can't even guess how much airflow you'd need. And as @Baluncore said, the first thing you need to do is determine if there is any risk. That part's free, it just takes a little effort. Start by finding out what materials you are using and look for MSDS sheets for them.

Likes theycallmevirgo

What is ABS FDM 3D printing?

ABS FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) is a type of 3D printing technology that uses a heated nozzle to melt and extrude a thermoplastic material, typically ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), to create a three-dimensional object layer by layer.

What are the health risks associated with ABS FDM 3D printing?

There are several potential health risks associated with ABS FDM 3D printing, including exposure to hazardous fumes and particles, skin irritation, and potential long-term effects from repeated exposure.

How can I protect myself from the health risks of ABS FDM 3D printing?

To protect yourself from the health risks of ABS FDM 3D printing, it is important to use the printer in a well-ventilated area, wear appropriate personal protective equipment (such as a respirator and gloves), and follow safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

Are there any alternatives to ABS FDM 3D printing that are safer?

Yes, there are alternative materials and 3D printing technologies that may be considered safer than ABS FDM, such as PLA (Polylactic Acid) and SLA (Stereolithography). It is important to research and choose the best option for your specific needs and safety concerns.

Are there any regulations or guidelines for using ABS FDM 3D printing in a professional setting?

Currently, there are no specific regulations or guidelines for using ABS FDM 3D printing in a professional setting. However, it is important to follow general safety protocols and consult with experts or safety professionals if necessary.

Back