Heat and work. Fit ring over rod, remove ring from rod

In summary: They are related to the linear expansion.In summary, the conversation discusses the desired task of slipping an aluminum ring over a steel bar, with given diameters at a certain temperature. The solution involves heating the ring so it can fit over the bar, and then cooling them to the same temperature. The second part of the conversation involves finding the temperature at which the ring can be removed from the bar, using the formula for linear thermal expansion and the expansion coefficients for aluminum and steel.
nicoleb14
It is desired to slip an aluminum ring over a steel bar. At 7.00° C the inside diameter of the ring is 4.000 cm and the diameter of the rod is 4.080 cm.

(b) Find the temperature of the ring at which it fits over the bar. The bar remains at 7.00° C.
----

It is desired to slip an aluminum ring over a steel bar. At 21° C the inside diameter of a ring is 4.000 cm and the diameter of a rod is 4.004 cm. By heating the ring, it expands so that it can slip over the bar, after which time they both are allowed to cool to the same temperature, so that the ring is now stuck on the bar.

(b) Find the temperature at which the ring can be removed. Express your answer to the nearest whole degree.

Attempt:
i don't know even know where to start.
i tried (kAdeltaT)/L
but i don't know what A is!

Physics news on Phys.org
nicoleb14 said:
i don't know even know where to start.
i tried (kAdeltaT)/L
but i don't know what A is!
What's the formula describing linear thermal expansion? ΔL/L = ?

You should be able to look up the expansion coefficients for aluminum and steel in your text.

1. What is the relationship between heat and work in physics?

In physics, heat and work are both forms of energy that can be transferred from one system to another. Heat is the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting over a distance.

2. How does heat transfer occur in a physical system?

Heat can transfer in three ways: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, while convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are related but different concepts. Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. Temperature is measured in degrees, while heat is measured in joules.

4. How is work calculated in a physical system?

The work done in a physical system can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is the applied force, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. Work is measured in joules.

5. What happens when a ring is fitted over a rod and then removed?

When a ring is fitted over a rod and then removed, work is done on the ring. The force used to push or pull the ring over the rod results in an increase in the ring's internal energy, causing it to expand slightly. When the ring is removed, the internal energy decreases, and the ring returns to its original size.