Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity of magnetic dipole in magnetic field

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    edit: The title is misleading, sorry. Originally I wanted to ask a question about the heat capacity but I figured it out and changed the question while forgetting to change the thread title..

Hi. OK, assume we have a classic magnetic dipole in a magnetic field with ##H= - \vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}##. Then you can show that the canonical partition function becomes ##Z= \frac{4 \pi}{\beta \mu B} \sinh{\beta \mu B}##, where ##\beta = 1/(k_B T)##.

Using ##Z##, you can show that the mean energy ##<E>= \frac{1}{3} \frac{(\mu B)^2}{k_B T}## in the limit ##T \rightarrow \infty##.

I have a question that isn't really specific to the system, but something more general: As temperature approaches infinity, all the energy-states for my magnetic dipole will become equally probable. Why?

According to the ergodic hypothesis, every microstate is equiprobable. So in the limit ##T## being very large, does every energy state become so small compared to ##k_B T## that they all have roughly the same energy, ~##0##? And then since they have roughly the same energy , the system effectively becomes a micro-canonical ensemble where the ergodic hypothesis applies?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right. For large temperatures, the energy difference between the states just becomes negligible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook