1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat capacity using Debye dispersion relation

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the Debye dispersion approximation, calculate the heat capacity of a harmonic, monatomic, 1D lattice. Next, find the temperature dependence in the low temperature limit. (Assume that the longitudinal mode has spring constant CL = C, and the two transverse modes both have spring constant CT = 0.2C. )

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]C_{lattice}=k_{B}\sum[/itex]p ∫d[itex]\omega[/itex]Dp([itex]\omega[/itex]) [itex]\frac{x^{2}e^{x}}{(e^{x}-1)^{2}}[/itex] , p is over all of the modes
    [itex]d\omega[/itex] [itex]D_{p}( \omega)[/itex] = [itex]\frac{Lk_{B}T}{hv\pi}dx[/itex]
    where [itex]D_{p}( \omega)[/itex] = density of states
    [itex]c_p[/itex] = the spring constants for longitudinal and transverse
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So I should end up with 3 heat capacities to add together, two transverse and one longitudinal.

[itex]C_{lattice}=k_{B}\sum_p \int^{\inf}_{0} \frac{Lk_{B}T}{hv\pi}\frac{x^{2}e^{x}}{(e^{x}-1)^{2}}
    \omega D_{p}(\omega) = \sum_{p}\frac{Lk_{B}T}{hv\pi}\frac{\pi^{2}}{3}K\sqrt{\frac{M}{c_{p}}}[/itex]

[itex]C_{lattice}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\pi L k_{B}}{3h}\sqrt{\frac{M}{c_{p}}}KT(2\sqrt{5}+1)[/itex]
    So this right here is my final solution, and I'm trying to see how far off base I am.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3
    That was a mistake and should've been [itex](e^{x}-1)[/itex], and the expression for [itex]C_{lattice}[/itex] is from Kittel if youre wondering where I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted