Debye internal energy for heat capacity

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the normal definition of heat capacity using Feynman's definition of internal energy for the Debye theory of heat capacity. The speaker is having trouble solving the integration in the equation and is questioning why V needs to be a specific amount in order to obtain the normal definition.
cristata
I'm working from Feynman's definition of internal energy for the Debye theory of heat capacity. I'm trying to use that to derive the normal definition of heat capacity that I've seen. But I'm running into a problem. Note, in the following V_0 is frequency, whereas V is volume (that's how Feynman writes it).

[tex]

U=\frac{3Vk_{B}^{4}T^{4}}{2\pi^{2}\hbar^{3}V_{0}^{3}}\int_{0}^{\Theta_{D}/T}\frac{x^{3}e^{x}}{\left (e^x - 1\right )} dx

[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{12\pi V k_{B}T^{4}}{\Theta_{D}^{3}}\int_{0}^{\Theta_{D}/T}\frac{x^{3}e^{x}}{\left (e^x - 1\right )} dx

[/tex]

[tex]

= \frac{4\pi V}{3}\frac{9k_{B}T^{4}}{\Theta_{D}^{3}}\int_{0}^{\Theta_{D}/T}\frac{x^{3}e^{x}}{\left (e^x - 1\right )} dx

[/tex]

I get [tex] V = \frac{3N}{4 \pi} [/tex], in order to obtain

[tex]

C_{V} =9Nk_{B}\left (\frac{T}{\Theta_{D}} \right)^{3}\int_{0}^{\Theta_{D}/T}\frac{x^{4}e^{x}}{\left (e^x - 1\right )^{2}} dx

[/tex]

Why would V be this amount? I don't understand why this must be the case, unless I'm making a mistake somewhere, but I can't see where. The only way I can get the normal definition of Debye heat capacity is if I set V equal to this.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ou...e+debye+temperature"&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how can i solve the integration in this equation?

What is Debye internal energy?

Debye internal energy is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the total energy of a system due to the motion and interactions of its particles.

How is Debye internal energy related to heat capacity?

Debye internal energy is directly proportional to the heat capacity of a system. This means that as the internal energy of a system increases, so does its heat capacity.

What is the Debye model for heat capacity?

The Debye model is a theoretical model that describes the heat capacity of a solid as a function of temperature. It takes into account the vibrations of atoms in a solid and assumes that the atoms can only vibrate in certain modes, known as phonons.

What is the Debye temperature?

The Debye temperature is a characteristic temperature for a solid, which is related to the average energy of the vibrations of atoms in the solid. It is used in the Debye model to calculate the heat capacity of a solid.

How is Debye internal energy calculated?

The Debye internal energy can be calculated using the Debye model for heat capacity, by integrating the heat capacity with respect to temperature. It can also be calculated using other thermodynamic relationships, such as the internal energy equation or the first law of thermodynamics.