Heat engines and finding efficiency

In summary: is done and the internal energy at the end of the process is the same as it started. thermal engine works in such a way that it never repeats itself, it always goes back to its initial state.
BOAS
Hello,

Homework Statement

Engine A receives four times more input heat, produces six times more work, and
rejects three times more heat than engine B. Find the efficiency of (a) engine A and
(b) engine B.

Homework Equations

e = |W|/|QH|

e = 1 - |Qc|/|QH|

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really see how I'm supposed to find any numerical answer to this question. It seems overly simple just to state the efficiency of A in terms of B and vice versa.

What relationship am I not seeing that will help me solve this problem?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Express the efficiency of A in terms of B via the two different equations for efficiency. That will give you two equations for two unknowns.

BOAS said:
Hello,

Homework Statement

Engine A receives four times more input heat, produces six times more work, and
rejects three times more heat than engine B. Find the efficiency of (a) engine A and
(b) engine B.

Homework Equations

e = |W|/|QH|

e = 1 - |Qc|/|QH|

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really see how I'm supposed to find any numerical answer to this question. It seems overly simple just to state the efficiency of A in terms of B and vice versa.

What relationship am I not seeing that will help me solve this problem?

Thanks for any help you can give.

What is the change of internal energy during the whole circle? Write up the First Law with QH, QC and W for both systems and use the relations given between the input heat, rejected heat and work.

ehild

voko said:
Express the efficiency of A in terms of B via the two different equations for efficiency. That will give you two equations for two unknowns.

Thanks for the response,

[itex]e_{a}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{6|W_{b}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex] = 1 - [itex]\frac{3|Q_{Cb}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{6|W_{b}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex] = 1 - [itex]\frac{3|Q_{Cb}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{6|W_{b}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{3|Q_{Cb}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex] = 1

[itex]\frac{6|W_{b}| + 3|Q_{Cb}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex] = 1

[itex]6|W_{b}| + 3|Q_{Cb}|[/itex] = [itex]4|Q_{Hb}|[/itex]

[itex]6|W_{b}|[/itex] = [itex]4|Q_{Hb}| - 3|Q_{Cb}|[/itex]

The above is the same as a cons. energy statement, but I'm not sure if I'm getting any closer to an actual answer.

Last edited:
You do not want to deal with the heats and work. You want to relate ##e_A## and ##e_B## in two different ways.

[itex]e_{a}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{6|W_{b}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex]

[itex]e_{a}[/itex] = [itex]1 - \frac{3|Q_{Cb}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex]

[itex]e_{b}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{4|Q_{Ha}|}{6|W_{a}|}[/itex]

[itex]e_{b}[/itex] = [itex]1 - \frac{4|Q_{Ha}|}{3|Q_{Ca}|}[/itex]

I don't understand what to do with this info.

Since ## e_B = \dfrac {|W_B|} {|Q_{HB}|} ## by definition, you have ##e_A = \dfrac 6 4 e_B##.

voko said:
Since ## e_B = \dfrac {|W_B|} {|Q_{HB}|} ## by definition, you have ##e_A = \dfrac 6 4 e_B##.

So I was unnecessarily confusing matters by talking about b in fractions of a(which was in turn multiples of b...)?

This has turned out a lot simpler than I was making it, but I am concerned that there are 5 marks available here.

Have you been able to form another equation for ##e_A## and ##e_B##? Have you solved the system?

[itex]e_{a}[/itex] = 1 - [itex]\frac{3|Q_{Cb}|}{4|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex]

[itex]e_{b}[/itex] = 1 - [itex]\frac{|Q_{Cb}|}{|Q_{Hb}|}[/itex]

[itex]e_{a}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex][itex]e_{b}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]

I have a feeling that my equation for the efficiency of a is wrong...

Then doing simultaneous equations I obtain that ea = 1/2

so eb = 1/3

All correct.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Voko,

for being so patient and leading me through it.

BOAS.

A bit different approach: During a cyclic process, the change of internal energy is zero: Qh(A)-Qc(A)-W(A)=0, Qh(B)-Qc(B)-W(B)=0. With the given relation between engines A and B: 4Qh(B)-3Qc(B)-6W(B)=0. Eliminate Qc(B): Qh(B)-3W(B)=0. The efficiency is defined as η=W/Qh, so it is 1/3 for engine B. You know already the ratio of the efficiencies...

ehild

ehild said:
A bit different approach: During a cyclic process, the change of internal energy is zero: Qh(A)-Qc(A)-W(A)=0, Qh(B)-Qc(B)-W(B)=0. With the given relation between engines A and B: 4Qh(B)-3Qc(B)-6W(B)=0. Eliminate Qc(B): Qh(B)-3W(B)=0. The efficiency is defined as η=W/Qh, so it is 1/3 for engine B. You know already the ratio of the efficiencies...

ehild

Hi,

I don't know what you mean by cyclic process, or how I can know my question describes one. It is always a good idea to know different ways of solving a problem, so I would be interested in understanding your method.

BOAS.

BOAS said:
Hi,

I don't know what you mean by cyclic process, or how I can know my question describes one. It is always a good idea to know different ways of solving a problem, so I would be interested in understanding your method.

BOAS.

How does a thermal engine work? Is it not repeating itself, and going back to its initial state after performing the process?

How do you define QH, QC and W? They are not meaningless letters. Your two equations of efficiency were derived from the condition that the net change of the internal energy during the process is zero.

Eliminate e from the two equations for efficiency

e = |W|/|QH|, e = 1 - |Qc|/|QH| ,

You get that QH-QC-W=0. *

The definition of efficiency refers to a process where heat is taken in one stage, heat is rejected in other stage, (the net heat transferred to the system is Q= QH-QC) work W is done.

The change of the internal energy in a process is ΔU=Q-W, according to the First Law of Thermodynamics. Eguation * means that the internal energy does not change.

ehild

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy (heat) into mechanical energy (work). It typically involves the use of a high temperature reservoir and a low temperature reservoir, with the difference in temperature being the driving force for the conversion of energy.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by using a fuel or heat source to heat a working fluid, such as steam or gas. The heated fluid then expands and pushes against a piston or turbine, causing it to move and do work. The used fluid is then cooled and returned to its original state to repeat the cycle.

3. What is thermal efficiency?

Thermal efficiency is a measure of the efficiency of a heat engine, and it is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. In other words, it is the ratio of the amount of useful work that a heat engine produces to the amount of heat that is supplied to it.

4. How can we improve the efficiency of a heat engine?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a heat engine, including increasing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, using more efficient working fluids, and minimizing energy losses due to friction and other factors. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper tuning of the engine can also help improve its efficiency.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be affected by various factors, such as the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, the design and condition of the engine, and the amount of energy lost due to friction and other factors. Other external factors, such as the environmental conditions and the quality of the fuel used, can also impact the efficiency of a heat engine.