Heat equation and taylor's approximation

In summary, the homework statement states that if the temperature, T at time, t (measured in days) is at a depth x (measured in metres) and is given by T0 + T1 e^{-\lambda} x sin (wt - \lambdax), then the storage of heat, T at time, t (measured in days) at a depth x (measured in metres) is given by T(x,t) = T0 + T1 e^{-\lambda} x sin (wt - \lambdax).
orangesun

Homework Statement

storage of heat, T at time, t (measured in days) at a depth x (measured in metres)
T(x,t)=T0 + T1 e[tex]^{-\lambda} x[/tex] sin (wt - [tex]\lambda[/tex]x)
where w = 2pi/365 and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a positive constant

show that [tex]\delta[/tex]T/[tex]\delta[/tex]t = k [tex]\delta[/tex]^2 T / [tex]\delta[/tex]x^2Derive the second order Taylor polynomial approximation Q(x, t) for T(x, t)
about the point (-0,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry i have absolutely no idea how to even begin this question, i would really like it if someone could nudge me in the right direction for the method at least.
thanks heaps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the first part i would start by attempting the required derivatives to see if the equality is true

I understand that, but I just don't know how you would even begin tackling this question.
How would you even be able to take the derivative of that function?

well you have T(x,t)

it should be stratightforward differentiation using chain rule to find
[tex] \frac{\partial T(x,t)}{\partial t} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 T(x,t)}{\partial x^2} [/tex]

as they are partial derivatives when you differentiate the other variables are kept constant

have a go and i'll help you

thanks heaps for that lane dance! I didnt know where to start but I managed to get an answer...for both dT/dt and dT/dx and just derive dt/dx again to get d^2T/dx^2

I just need a bit of help now with the second part, how would you use the taylor approximations for that

so what is the equation for a 2nd order taylor polynomial expansion of a 2 variable equation?

I know what it is for a 1 variable equation, but for a 2 variable equation I am a bit stumped.
is it where you have to replace Q(x,y) with x=a+h y=b+k ?

here's the first thing that pops up on a quick google on "multivariable taylor series"
http://www.fepress.org/files/math_primer_fe_taylor.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes how temperature changes over time in a given region. It takes into account factors such as the rate of heat transfer, the properties of the material, and the initial temperature distribution.

What is Taylor's approximation?

Taylor's approximation is a technique used to approximate a function by using its derivatives at a single point. It is often used in mathematical modeling to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

How is Taylor's approximation used in the heat equation?

In the heat equation, Taylor's approximation is used to approximate the temperature at a particular point based on its neighboring points. This allows for a simpler representation of the heat distribution over time.

What is the significance of the heat equation in science?

The heat equation is an important tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model and understand heat transfer in a wide range of systems, from simple objects to complex processes.

Can the heat equation be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the heat equation has many practical applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in buildings, analyzing heat flow in electronic devices, and understanding the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.