Heat exchangers for power plants

  • #1
I'm new to this forum, and would just like to say this is a very impressive site. My question is what is the best path way in school to design heat exchangers for power plants (more geared towards nuclear power plants.)

I'm currently finishing my first year of school studying mechanical engineering. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Hi enginej! Welcome to PF!

Have you already taken the basic courses on engineering thermodynamics and heat transfer? These will cover the fundamentals on how basic heat exchangers work, especially (and obviously) heat transfer. I suppose these courses are required for your major anyway, so you'll take them eventually. Also, find out if your department offers a thermo-fluids specialization for your major and look for courses on advanced heat transfer, preferably focused on heat exchanger design.

I can also recommend you some textbooks.
Thermodynamics: An engineering approach by Çengel. I've personally used it in my engineering thermodynamics class and I find it a great textbook. Includes some concepts of heat transfer in one of the first chapters, however, these are mostly conceptual.
Also, Transport Phenomena by BSL, and Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer by Incropera and DeWitt. I haven't used these personally, however, they are used in my school for transport phenomena and heat transfer courses, which I'm about to take next semester, and I've heard great things of both texts.
  • Like
Likes enginej and CalcNerd
  • #3
Thanks for the response MexCheme, and I will check these books out.

Suggested for: Heat exchangers for power plants