Heat expansions using simultaneous equations.

In summary, the conversation is about solving a question involving a steel ball resting on a hole in a brass surface at a certain temperature. The goal is to find the temperature needed for the ball to pass through the hole, knowing the thermal expansion coefficients for both materials. The suggested approach is to set up two equations using the thermal expansion formula and solve for the change in temperature (ΔT).
lagwagon555
Hi all, this isn't homework, just doing a bit of revision and I've come to a question I'm stuck on. Thanks for any help!

Homework Statement

A steel ball is resting on a hole in a brass surface, at 15 degrees celsius. The bearing has a diameter of 30mm, and the hole has a diameter at 29.994mm. What temperature do you have to heat both the ball and surface up to, in order for the ball to hit through the hole? The temperature will be the same for both the bearing and the hole.

a for brass = 1.9x10^-5
a for steel = 1.1x10^-5

Homework Equations

(Sorry, I haven't worked out how to use the proper method for inputting equations)
(change in)L = a.L(initial).(change in)T

The Attempt at a Solution

(change in)L = 3.3x10^-4.(change in)T for the bearing
(change in)L = 5.6x10^-4.(change in)T for the brass

I have no clue how to set up the equations from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all help yourself to a Δ.

(And use it well.)

ΔL = a *L * ΔT

So set up 2 equations. One for ΔL1 and the other for ΔL2 in which you know ultimately that you want ΔL2 = ΔL1 + .006

Then solve for ΔT.

Well, you what you need is:
[tex]L_{B0}+ \Delta L_{B} < L_{R0} +\Delta L_{R}[/tex]
All that should be necessary is to substitute in the expression for thermal expansion. Where the B values are for the steel ball, and the R for the brass ring/surface

LowlyPion said:
First of all help yourself to a Δ.

(And use it well.)

ΔL = a *L * ΔT

So set up 2 equations. One for ΔL1 and the other for ΔL2 in which you know ultimately that you want ΔL2 = ΔL1 + .006

Then solve for ΔT.

I shall treasure it for the rest of my life!

And sorry to ask for even more details, I'm just useless with maths at the moment. So, if I set up my two equations, it should look like:

ΔL1 = 1.1x10^-5 *30 * ΔT (I assume you can keep the units in mm here)
ΔL2 = 1.9x10^-5 *29.994 * ΔT

How do you go about getting about solving for ΔT? I tried setting the ΔL2 equation to the ΔL1 equation plus .006, but when I solved for ΔT I got 8.25x10^-3, which is horribly wrong.

1. What is the concept of heat expansion?

Heat expansion refers to the phenomenon in which the size or volume of a substance increases when its temperature rises. This is due to the fact that heat causes the particles in a substance to move faster, leading to an increase in the space they occupy.

2. How is heat expansion measured?

Heat expansion is typically measured using the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is a numerical value that represents the amount of expansion in a substance per unit of temperature change. It is usually expressed in units of length per degree Celsius (or Kelvin).

3. What are simultaneous equations in the context of heat expansion?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together to determine the unknown variables. In the context of heat expansion, simultaneous equations are used to calculate the change in dimensions or volume of a substance when its temperature changes.

4. How are simultaneous equations used to calculate heat expansion?

To calculate heat expansion using simultaneous equations, the CTE values of the substance in question must be known. These values are then used to set up a system of equations, where one equation represents the change in length or volume, and the other represents the change in temperature. Solving this system of equations using algebraic methods will give the change in dimensions or volume of the substance.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat expansion and simultaneous equations?

Heat expansion and simultaneous equations have various practical applications, such as in the design and construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also used in the manufacturing of machines and tools, as well as in the production of everyday items like thermometers, pipes, and containers. Additionally, these concepts are important in fields such as materials science, engineering, and physics.