1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat flux on a cylinder with two insulators

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1
    I'm used to problems which ask me to find the heat flux for when, for example I have a very long cylinder covered with an insulator, each with their respective conductivity coefficient. I'd use the formula [itex]\frac{\partial Q} {\partial t} =\int -k\vec{\nabla} T \vec {ds}[/itex]. But now I have a situation where the cylinder is covered with two insulators, one on the left half of it, and the other one on the right. So I don't know how to use the previous formula here, as k doesn't vary with ρ only, but also with φ. I found this very same problem on a web but, it didn't use that formula. Instead, an electric-like circuit was built, and so on (I'm NOT supposed to solve it this way) Any advice?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

I suppose you need to know what are the boundary conditions to know how to solve this. Are the cylinder and the "outside" specified to be held at fixed temperatures or is it some other situation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted