Heat generated due to electron bombardment

In summary: Kinetic_theoryIn summary, the generation of heat in a material due to electron bombardment is caused by the deposit of kinetic energy from the electrons. This energy is then distributed among many particles through various effects such as elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, ionization, and bremsstrahlung. The relative contribution of these effects may be less compared to the heat loss. However, the microscopic reasons for this heat generation are still unclear and are not commonly discussed in references.
KK
Hi,
I am looking for the reasons for the generation of heat developed in a material due to electron bombardment. Searching in the internet gives me only the estimations of the heat developed, but not the physical reasons for the heat development. Appreciate if I am provided any insight into the physical reasoning...
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Got not even the least idea?

You deposit energy in the target in the form of the kinetic energy of your electrons. Where is that energy going to go?

Based on the OPs posting history, there is a very high likelihood that he/she will never respond to this thread, and will probably not be back in the next several years.

Zz.

1) @Bystander: I have the idea about other effects like elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, ionization and bremsstrahlung caused by the decelerated electrons. However, I have no clue why heat is generated...

2) @M Quack: As mentioned in (1), there are various effects that take place to compensate for the loss of Kinetic Energy of the electrons. But, I think their relative contribution is less compared to the form of heat loss. I failed to found the microscopic (say, Quantum Mechanically Or At Atomic Level) reason for the generation of heat loss. Mentioning again, I only see the references for computation of heat generation, but not the reasons. Does my question make sense?

3) @ZapperZ: ...:)

Electrons get scattered back and forth, kicking other electrons that get get scattered... until the kinetic energy is spread out over many many particles. Losses due to radiation or emission of secondary electrons are usually negligible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature

What is heat generated due to electron bombardment?

Heat generated due to electron bombardment is the production of thermal energy when high-energy electrons collide with a material or surface.

How does heat generated due to electron bombardment occur?

When high-energy electrons collide with a material, they transfer their kinetic energy to the atoms and molecules in the material, causing them to vibrate and generate heat.

What factors affect the amount of heat generated due to electron bombardment?

The amount of heat generated due to electron bombardment is influenced by the energy and velocity of the electrons, the type of material being bombarded, and the number of electrons hitting the material per unit time.

What are the applications of heat generated due to electron bombardment?

Heat generated due to electron bombardment has various applications, including in electron microscopes, cathode ray tubes, X-ray tubes, and various industrial processes such as welding and surface modification.

How can heat generated due to electron bombardment be controlled or minimized?

To control or minimize heat generated due to electron bombardment, various techniques can be employed, such as using lower energy electrons, reducing the number of electrons hitting the material, or using materials with higher thermal conductivity to dissipate the heat more efficiently.