Heat generated due to electron bombardment

• B
  • Thread starter KK
  • Start date
KK
Hi,
I am looking for the reasons for the generation of heat developed in a material due to electron bombardment. Searching in the internet gives me only the estimations of the heat developed, but not the physical reasons for the heat development. Appreciate if I am provided any insight into the physical reasoning...
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Got not even the least idea?

You deposit energy in the target in the form of the kinetic energy of your electrons. Where is that energy going to go?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Based on the OPs posting history, there is a very high likelihood that he/she will never respond to this thread, and will probably not be back in the next several years.

Zz.

KK
1) @Bystander: I have the idea about other effects like elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, ionization and bremsstrahlung caused by the decelerated electrons. However, I have no clue why heat is generated...

2) @M Quack: As mentioned in (1), there are various effects that take place to compensate for the loss of Kinetic Energy of the electrons. But, I think their relative contribution is less compared to the form of heat loss. I failed to found the microscopic (say, Quantum Mechanically Or At Atomic Level) reason for the generation of heat loss. Mentioning again, I only see the references for computation of heat generation, but not the reasons. Does my question make sense?

3) @ZapperZ: ...:)

Electrons get scattered back and forth, kicking other electrons that get get scattered... until the kinetic energy is spread out over many many particles. Losses due to radiation or emission of secondary electrons are usually negligible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature