Heat needed to change temperature of hydrogen gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Kalie
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
A rigid container holds 0.650 of hydrogen gas. How much heat is needed to change the temperature of the gas from 50 K to 100 K?
All right I know this is easy but for some reason I can't get the right answer what i have been doing is using the equation Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)
Hydrogen gas is 1 g/mol
so n= .65 mol
C_v= 5/2 R= 20.775
because hydrogen gas is diatomic?
(T_f-T_i)= 100-50= 50
so putting it all together I get 675.188
which is wrong I made Hydrogen monotomic for the hay of it and got 405 J which is wrong too.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong...:cry:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kalie said:
A rigid container holds 0.650 of hydrogen gas. How much heat is needed to change the temperature of the gas from 50 K to 100 K?
All right I know this is easy but for some reason I can't get the right answer what i have been doing is using the equation Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)
Hydrogen gas is 1 g/mol
so n= .65 mol
C_v= 5/2 R= 20.775
because hydrogen gas is diatomic?
(T_f-T_i)= 100-50= 50
so putting it all together I get 675.188
which is wrong I made Hydrogen monotomic for the hay of it and got 405 J which is wrong too.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong...:cry:

See the highlights in the quote. A contradiction?
 
OlderDan said:
See the highlights in the quote. A contradiction?
But i also calculated it for monotomic too...
 
Kalie said:
But i also calculated it for monotomic too...

Did you calculate it for diatomic using the correct mass?
 
OlderDan said:
Did you calculate it for diatomic using the correct mass?
Oh!
But When I do that I get
.65/2 = .325
.325*20.775*50 = 337.6 which is still wrong