Heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mattyboson12
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
When modelling the heat transfer through a plate using fouriers equation, what difference would it make if the width and length of the plate were set to a specified value rather than being infinite?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you consider width and length of heat exchanger to be infinite.
 
I read the following in a textbook:

"The temperature in the tile is to be analysed by solving Fourier's equation numerically using a finite difference technique. To simplify the problem, the following two assumptions are made: It is modeled as a one-dimensional problem. Only heat flow across the 5cm thickness is considered. The tile is assumed to behave like an infinite plate of 5cm thickness"

I was just curious as to what difference it would make to the heat transfer if you considered a 3 dimensional model instead
 
mattyboson12 said:
I read the following in a textbook:

"The temperature in the tile is to be analysed by solving Fourier's equation numerically using a finite difference technique. To simplify the problem, the following two assumptions are made: It is modeled as a one-dimensional problem. Only heat flow across the 5cm thickness is considered. The tile is assumed to behave like an infinite plate of 5cm thickness"

I was just curious as to what difference it would make to the heat transfer if you considered a 3 dimensional model instead
I suppose it's like considering uniform effect over the heat exchanger plate. If it is considered finite then heat transfer via outer portion of that plate is difficult to analyse. I am not fully sure but I suppose it's like it.
 
Attachments
  • C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_heat-exchanger_gif.png
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_heat-exchanger_gif.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 526