Heat transfer between 2 liquids

In summary: For the pool problem you are assuming natural convection, which is a fancy way of saying the air is constantly cooling the pool. You can solve for the heat loss in watts by integrating the temperature change over time:
eaboujaoudeh
I don't know if classical physics is the best place to put this, cause normally i would have put it in the engineering section. There is no governing equation right now to describe heat flow between 2 liquids?
another question: flow between 2 liquids is governed by convection, if we place an imaginary plate between the 2 liquids and consider the equations between horizontal plate and fluid to find the thermal conductivity of both liquids and the plate. then we take the thickness of the plate to be zero, then we would be left with an equation containing 2 thermal conductivity values and no conduction value thus we would be able to calculate the heat transfer as if the plate never existed.
question 3. I need to find the heat loss from a heated pool to ambient cool air, if no formula exists isn't there an approximation or something that i can use?
Thnx to anyone who could reply to that!

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot find any questions in your opening comments.

As for the last part.

Assume Newtons law of cooling, then take some real temperature data. I would measure the air and pool temperature something like twice an hour for 24 hrs. Then do some data fitting to determine a bulk heat loss parameter.

You could also track the current draw of your heaters through a night to determine heat loss.

my first question was i wanted to know if there is one emperical equation that can define heat transfer between 2 liquids in contact with each other but not mixing. btw nice idea ur answer, weird i didn't think about it ! thnx

I donj't know how you would have interaction between two fluids without mixing. This is more of a thermo problem than a heat transfer problem. If the fluids are flowing, then perhaps it could be related via the difference in enthalpies from the first law.

As far as the pool problem, are you assuming a breeze over the pool (forced) or just natural convection?

well i have to account for both cases, and actually air and water are two flowing fluids that don't really mix together. so the air is constantly cooling the pool and i have to know how much the cooling is so i could provide enough heat to keep the pool at a constant temperature

well i have to account for both cases, and actually air and water are two flowing fluids that don't really mix together. so the air is constantly cooling the pool and i have to know how much the cooling is so i could provide enough heat to keep the pool at a constant temperature

As Integral suggested, you should be able to solve this with Newton's law of cooling.

just checked out Newton's law of cooling, it doesn't give me the energy which is in terms of convection (h in W/m2 C). don't forget i want to know the energy loss in W so i can make it up by another source. i tried taking Free convection theories, but I'm not sure about my answer, anyone familiar with Gratshoff Prandtl principles??

[tex] \frac {dT} {dt} = k ( T_e - T) [/tex]
You also need and initial condition, say T(0) = T 0

Newtons law of cooling employs a bulk parameter, k that is not assosiated with any specific heat transfer mechanism. It encompasses all mechanisms.

Indeed a wind blowing over your pool will yield a different k then a still day.

1. What is heat transfer between 2 liquids?

Heat transfer between 2 liquids is the movement of thermal energy from one liquid to another due to a difference in temperature. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How does conduction play a role in heat transfer between 2 liquids?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two substances. In the context of heat transfer between 2 liquids, conduction occurs when the molecules of one liquid collide with the molecules of the other, transferring thermal energy.

3. What is convection and how does it contribute to heat transfer between 2 liquids?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as a liquid or gas. In heat transfer between 2 liquids, convection occurs when one liquid is heated, causing it to expand and rise while the cooler liquid sinks and takes its place, creating a continuous flow of thermal energy.

4. Can radiation also play a role in heat transfer between 2 liquids?

Yes, radiation can also contribute to heat transfer between 2 liquids. Radiant heat is the transfer of thermal energy through electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation. This type of heat transfer does not require direct contact between the two liquids.

5. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer between 2 liquids?

The rate of heat transfer between 2 liquids can be influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two liquids, the thermal conductivity of the liquids, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the two liquids.