1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heat transfer by radiation and Temperature difference

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    Hello all, this is related to a project that I am working on.

It is not directly related to the project but as part of it, I thought it would be a good idea to check the temperature difference that I need to maintain in order to effectively transfer a certain amount of heat between the TH in a refrigeration cycle and the environment.

The heat that I need to transfer is the amount of heat generated by the human body while performing physical activities. The rate is averaged at 400 W. For 8 hours that is a total of 11520 kJ of heat. The environment is on Mars where the atmosphere is 100 times thinner than Earth.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Temperature difference needed depends on the design of the heat dissipating element and nature of the environment .

So what can you tell us about :

The element configuration ?

The heat transfer mode ? You say radiation but could convection also be relevant or even possibly dominant ?

The environmental conditions ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. Dec 15, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the real situation it would not be a simple case of removing excess body heat .

The need would be to maintain body temperature within safe limits . Heating or cooling might be needed at any time as working and environmental conditions changed .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted