Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Heat transfer by radiation and Temperature difference

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    Hello all, this is related to a project that I am working on.

It is not directly related to the project but as part of it, I thought it would be a good idea to check the temperature difference that I need to maintain in order to effectively transfer a certain amount of heat between the TH in a refrigeration cycle and the environment.

The heat that I need to transfer is the amount of heat generated by the human body while performing physical activities. The rate is averaged at 400 W. For 8 hours that is a total of 11520 kJ of heat. The environment is on Mars where the atmosphere is 100 times thinner than Earth.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Temperature difference needed depends on the design of the heat dissipating element and nature of the environment .

So what can you tell us about :

The element configuration ?

The heat transfer mode ? You say radiation but could convection also be relevant or even possibly dominant ?

The environmental conditions ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. Dec 15, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the real situation it would not be a simple case of removing excess body heat .

The need would be to maintain body temperature within safe limits . Heating or cooling might be needed at any time as working and environmental conditions changed .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted