Heat Transfer Coefficient of Thin Steel Sheet on Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter xharville
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Heat transfer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
xharville
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if anyone knew the heat transfer coefficient of a thin steel sheet on top of water. It is vital that I find this answer because it is a major part of my research. I found one formula which stated that the U value could be found by using the formula 1/U= x1/k1 + x2/k2. I wanted to know if this formula was correct or if not, what would be a better formula to use. Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on whether or not the water is flowing.

Static water would involve pure heat conduction, whereas flowing water would involve convection as well as conduction.