1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer equation (temperature difference)

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the equation mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T, i suppose [tex]\Delta[/tex]T should be Tf - Ti.

However, at what condition we should let [tex]\Delta[/tex]T be Ti - Tf?

I did come across a question which requires [tex]\Delta[/tex]T be Ti - Tf for a heat lost by an object.

eg,
    heat lost by copper = heat absorbed by beaker & water
    mc(Ti - Tf) = mbeakercbeaker(Tf - Ti) + mwatercwater(Tf - Ti)

I think perhaps we need to let mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T as a positive value since it just a magnitude? however, the value is not the same(pretty close) if i let it be Ti - Tf.

Need help, thanks =)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    anyone knows?

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]mc\Delta T=mc(T_f-T_i)[/itex] is always the energy gained. The energy lost by the copper was then [itex]-mc\Delta T[/itex], which is equivalent to the other expression.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    however, for the example above, why the initial temp and final temp is reversed?

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because [itex]-mc(T_f-T_i)=mc(T_i-T_f)[/itex]. Is this what you mean?

7. Nov 17, 2009 #6
    so we should write heat lost by copper as negative since the heat is released out, but the result of [itex]-mc(T_f-T_i)[/itex] will still be positive right?

8. Nov 17, 2009 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're saying that we should include the minus sign prefactor because we're considering the amount of energy leaving, but that the sign of [itex]-mc(T_f-T_i)[/itex] is positive because [itex]T_f<T_i[/itex], I agree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook