1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer in a cylindrical tube

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't really understand something in my textbook. It says the heat Resistor (how to say that in English? I hope it's alright like this...) trough a cylindrical tube (from the inside to the outside or revers) would be: R(heatrisistor)=1/2∏Lλ * ln (R1/R2) And then my textbook gives the following picture (well oke a but nicer, but that's what I make of it)http://schattielover.deviantart.com/art/homework-314836756

But if I were to follow this I get a negative R every time (since R1 is smaller than R2 and so the ln gets negative right?), which I find very strange... So I searched trough other textbooks that I have and they had no information about it and searched trough the internet (I'm not very good at that ^^') and found nothing I can use.

So my question is: Can someone explain to me, nice and simple, what I should do with the R1 and the R2? (I probably am misunderstanding my textbook... I'm sure of it ^^')

Well thanks for reading all of this anyway, hope someone can help me with this. :)
    [
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't see your diagram but I think there is a mistake. R1 and R2 should be the other way around. See...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Formula_for_Heat_loss_in_a_pipe

Q= 2 pi k L(T1-T2)/ln(r2/r1)

where

k=conductivity of material of which pipe is made

T1= temperature of inside layer pipe
    T2=temperature outside layer of pipe
    L= length of pipe
    r1= inner radius
    r2=outer radius
    ln=natural logrithem

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3
    thank you so much! I can defiantly do something with that =D =D =D. I can be so stupid sometimes ^^'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook