Understanding KVL Equations for Circuit Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of current in a given circuit and the discrepancy between the textbook's equation and the correct equation for loop analysis. The conversation also mentions the use of loops in analyzing the circuit and the need to properly account for voltage sources in the equations.
Tiziano

Homework Statement

The following circuit is given.
aaa.jpg

I intend to calculate the current in every resistor (every quantity except i1, i2, i3, is known).

My textbook states that ℰ3-ℰ1 = (R1+R2+R3+R4+2r)*i, but I think it should be -ℰ3+ℰ1 on the left-hand side, since the current enters the negative and leaves the positive terminal of ℰ1 and does the opposite with ℰ3.

Homework Equations

Ohm's generalized law for a closed circuit (the algebric sum of the emf's equals R*i, where R is the total resistance)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've simply computed the same equation of the book, but I don't understand why my signs are wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you did not show any work, it is difficult to help you.

It is also not clear what is indicated by the curved arrow across the middle leg just below C. What are we to suppose this is?

My textbook states that ℰ3-ℰ1 = (R1+R2+R3+R4+2r)*i, but I think it should be -ℰ3+ℰ1 on the left-hand side, since the current enters the negative and leaves the positive terminal of ℰ1 and does the opposite with ℰ3.
Isn't that what they did? (change sides change sign).

The rule is: the sum of the voltages is zero. So, for the big loop:
##\mathscr{E}_1 -R_1i_1 -R_2i_3 -\mathscr{E}_3 +r i_3 +R_4i_3 +R_3i_1 +ri_1 = 0## ... tidy it up, and express as emf = other stuff.

I don't think that ℰ3-ℰ1 = (R1+R2+R3+R4+2r)*i is correct as written though.

Hi Tiziano,

To me it looks like you're writing KVL equations for loop analysis of the circuit using loops as follows:
upload_2017-1-2_20-47-46.png

Is this correct?

If so, I agree with you that the book's equation 3-ℰ1 = (R1+R2+R3+R4+2r)*i does not handle the voltage sources correctly for the given loop with current i (shown in blue above), and that your own version is correct.

What is an electromotive force?

An electromotive force (EMF) is the potential difference or voltage between two points in an electric circuit. It is the force responsible for moving electric charges through a conductor.

What are some common signs of electromotive forces?

The most common signs of electromotive forces include the presence of a potential difference or voltage, the flow of electric current, and the generation of a magnetic field. Other signs can include changes in temperature, light emission, or chemical reactions.

How is electromotive force measured?

Electromotive force is typically measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. This device measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit, and is often connected in parallel to the component being tested.

What is the difference between electromotive force and voltage?

Electromotive force and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Electromotive force is the force that drives electric charges through a circuit, while voltage is the measure of this force per unit charge. In other words, electromotive force is the cause of voltage, while voltage is the effect of electromotive force.

How do electromotive forces affect electronic devices?

Electromotive forces can have a wide range of effects on electronic devices, depending on their strength and direction. They can power devices, such as batteries and generators, or they can damage sensitive electronic components, such as transistors and microchips. The proper management and control of electromotive forces is crucial in the design and operation of electronic devices.