Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heating a small steel plate to high temperature

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    Hello,

For my setup i'm looking for a method to heat a small stainless steel plate (50x50x10mm(2x2x0.4 inches), AISI 304) to 900ºC (1652ºF). The plate is fixed onto the frame, so it can't be removed.

I've found some induction heaters, but they were all too expensive. Anyone got some suggestion for my problem?

Thanks,
    Vince

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about a torch?

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3
    Haven't really thought about a torch yet, but i think a torch will heat up the plate in non uniform way creating points with high temperature, damaging the thermocouples embedded in the plate. But it's worth a try, thanks!

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

See, if you don't describe your entire setup in detail, we don't know what you are trying to accomplish.

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5

etudiant

Gold Member

The temperature is too high to reach with the usual oil bath or similar, you are asking for cherry red steel.
    A torch is probably your best bet, encase the apparatus in an enclosure to get more uniform temperature.
    As SteamKing has noted, it is difficult to be relevant without a better idea of your goals.

7. Nov 6, 2013 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We built a test rig that heated a small metal object to aboot 1000C using the radiation from halogen car headlight bulbs. The bulbs have a built-in mirror to produce a narrow beam, and the filament temperature is higher than 1000C by a useful margin. The objects we were heating were smaller than your plate, but if you can limit the heat losses you might get something similar to work.

Or, make a "black body" enclosure around the plate, heat it with a torch from the outside, and let the internal radiation heat the plate uniformly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook