Heating up plastic before its melting point -- could it be bad?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a water heater made of plastic and the potential concerns about heating plastic. The Rheem water heater, which uses a Polybutene water tank, is mentioned as a common option. The specs for the tank reveal that it has several layers, with the polybutene in contact with the water. While the MSDS states that polybutene can cause mild gastrointestinal discomfort, it is considered safe for cosmetics and has low solubility in water. There is no guarantee of safety, but it is unlikely to cause harm.
kenny1999
I am interested in a water heater found in consumer market, however, it's made of kind of plastic, I often "feel" that there must be some problem heating up something like plastic.

I understand that it should be tested and safe before putting into the market, however, I still wish to know - from the physics and science's point of view, what do you think? Could it change the molecular structure and release kind of toxic particles when a kind of plastic heated up to 100ºC but well below its melting point?

My English is not perfect. Wish you understand my questions and concern.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps the most common of these is the Rheem. Here are the specs for it.
Uses a Polybutene water tank

Of course, any material used in the tank will interact with the water. A selling point of the plastic tank is that is has less interaction.

According to the specs, the tank has several layers: polyethylene on the outside, then polyurethane, then fiber glass, and finally a polybutene coating.

So it's the polybutene in contact with the water.
According to the MSDS it can cause "mild gastrointestinal discomfort". But that would be ingesting it in bulk.

Polybutenes are clear, bright, viscous liquids with boiling points of about 250C. Even the most viscous ones will get into the water. Here is a table: Polybutene products.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
Perhaps the most common of these is the Rheem. Here are the specs for it.
Uses a Polybutene water tank

Of course, any material used in the tank will interact with the water. A selling point of the plastic tank is that is has less interaction.

According to the specs, the tank has several layers: polyethylene on the outside, then polyurethane, then fiber glass, and finally a polybutene coating.

So it's the polybutene in contact with the water.
According to the MSDS it can cause "mild gastrointestinal discomfort". But that would be ingesting it in bulk.

Polybutenes are clear, bright, viscous liquids with boiling points of about 250C. Even the most viscous ones will get into the water. Here is a table: Polybutene products.

In a conclusion, it's much safer to use a shiny stainless steel one instead right?

Polybutene has been determined safe for cosmetics - including lip gloss.
It is "insoluble" or has "negligible" solubility in water - (depending on the source).

According to this report, it is "virtually non-toxic":
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/chemical-engineering/polybutene

I wouldn't worry about it. But there is no guarantee.

What happens when plastic is heated beyond its melting point?

When plastic is heated beyond its melting point, it will start to soften and eventually melt into a liquid state. This can be seen as the plastic becomes more pliable and starts to lose its shape.

Is it safe to heat up plastic before its melting point?

It is generally not recommended to heat up plastic before its melting point, as it can release harmful chemicals and fumes. This can be especially dangerous if the plastic contains additives or is not meant to be heated.

What are the potential risks of heating plastic before its melting point?

Heating plastic before its melting point can release toxic chemicals and fumes, which can be harmful to both humans and the environment. It can also cause the plastic to break down and release microplastics, which can be ingested by animals and have negative impacts on ecosystems.

Can heating plastic before its melting point cause it to release harmful chemicals?

Yes, heating plastic before its melting point can cause it to release harmful chemicals, such as BPA, phthalates, and dioxins. These chemicals have been linked to various health issues, including hormone disruption and cancer.

Are there any safe ways to heat plastic before its melting point?

No, it is not recommended to heat plastic before its melting point. However, if it is necessary, it is important to use caution and follow proper safety measures, such as using a well-ventilated area and avoiding direct contact with the heated plastic.