Height of ramp given normal force in circular loop

In summary, the problem involves finding the normal force at the top of a loop, which is 3 g's. To solve for this, you will need to use the formulas for potential energy and kinetic energy, as well as centripetal force. By setting these equations equal to each other and solving for the velocity, you can then use this velocity to find the height at the bottom of the loop. Finally, with the radius and velocity known, you can solve for the normal force at the top of the loop.
mastergaurang

Homework Statement

The attachment shows the problem. The normal force at the top of the loop is 3 g's (as in g-force).

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = .5mv2
Fc = [itex]\frac{mv2}{r}[/itex]
PE + KE = PE' + KE'
v = [itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal force would be: 30 * mass.

Since he's at the top of the loop, the formula would be:
Fnet = Fc = (mv2)/r = Fnormal + mg

I have tried to cancel the mass out and to formulate a system of equations but I think I'm missing something. One formula I got is by setting PE equal to KE (for h, but only at the bottom before the skater goes up the loop):
h = [itex]\frac{.5v2}{g}[/itex]

I am starting to think that I need the radius/velocity. Any ideas?

Attachments

• physicsproblem.png
    physicsproblem.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
mastergaurang said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The normal force would be: 30 * mass.

Since he's at the top of the loop, the formula would be:
Fnet = Fc = (mv2)/r = Fnormal + mg

Right so you can get v2 from this.

mastergaurang said:
I have tried to cancel the mass out and to formulate a system of equations but I think I'm missing something. One formula I got is by setting PE equal to KE (for h, but only at the bottom before the skater goes up the loop):
h = [itex]\frac{.5v2}{g}[/itex]

I am starting to think that I need the radius/velocity. Any ideas?

Yes you will need the radius since v2 will be in terms of the radius 'r'.

You are also correct in that h = ½v2/g, so you can use the v2 you found above here.

1. How does the normal force affect the height of a ramp in a circular loop?

The normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of the ramp, and it plays a crucial role in determining the height of the ramp in a circular loop. As the normal force increases, the required height of the ramp also increases, as the normal force is responsible for providing the necessary centripetal force to keep an object moving in a circular path.

2. What is the relationship between the normal force and the height of a ramp in a circular loop?

The relationship between the normal force and the height of a ramp in a circular loop is directly proportional. This means that as the normal force increases, the height of the ramp also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: height = (normal force * radius) / (mass * gravitational acceleration).

3. How does the mass of an object affect the height of a ramp in a circular loop?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the height of a ramp in a circular loop. However, it does affect the normal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path. As the mass increases, the normal force also increases, which in turn, increases the required height of the ramp.

4. Does the radius of the circular loop affect the height of the ramp?

Yes, the radius of the circular loop does affect the height of the ramp. As the radius increases, the required height of the ramp also increases, as a larger radius requires a larger normal force to keep an object moving in a circular path. This relationship is described by the equation: height = (normal force * radius) / (mass * gravitational acceleration).

5. How can the height of a ramp in a circular loop be calculated?

The height of a ramp in a circular loop can be calculated using the equation: height = (normal force * radius) / (mass * gravitational acceleration). This equation takes into account the normal force, radius of the circular loop, mass of the object, and gravitational acceleration. By plugging in the appropriate values, the required height of the ramp can be determined.