Height of the rise of the object attached to the spring ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block attached to a spring and given an impulse to move upward. The question asks for the height the block will rise, and the conversation provides equations and calculations to solve for this height. However, there is a mistake in the final answer given, and the individuals involved express frustration at having spent a significant amount of time on a simple mistake.
Buffu

Homework Statement

Question :- A block of mass ##5 kg## is attached to a spring. The spring is stretched by ##10 cm## under the load of the block. A impulse is provided to the block such that it moves up with a velocity of ##2 m/s##. Find the height it will rise.

sdasd.png

Homework Equations

##F_s = kx##
##x = 0.1m##
##v = 2m/s##
##m = 5kg##
##x_2## - height raised from the mean position of the spring.

The Attempt at a Solution

We can get spring constant by equating spring force and weight of the object.
$$kx = mg $$
$$k = {5 \times 10 \over 1/10} = 500 \hspace{20 mm} (1)$$

Now initial total energy of the system :-

$$TE_i = {m v^2 + kx^2\over 2}$$
Now using given data and from ##(1)##.
$$TE_i = {5 \times 4 + 500\times 1/100\over 2} = {25 \over 2}$$

final total energy :-

Velocity at maximum will be zero.

$$TE_f = {mg(x + x_2) + kx_2^2\over 2} \hspace{20 mm} (2)$$

Using conservation of energy ,##(1)## and ##(2)## we get,

$${25 \over 2} = {mg(x + x_2) + kx_2^2\over 2}$$
$$20x_2^2 + 2x_2 -0.8 = 0$$

##x_2 = 0.15##
thus total height is ##0.25 m##.
The answer is ##0.20 m##. I think the answer is incorrect, since this is pretty straight forward question.

Attachments

• sdasd.png
    sdasd.png
    925 bytes · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
In Equation (2) you divided the gravitational PE by 2.

Doc Al said:
In Equation (2) you divided the gravitational PE by 2

Such a silly mistake and i am trying this question for more than an hour.:frown::frown::frown::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Buffu said:
Such a silly mistake and i am trying this question for more than an hour.
That's the story of my life! :smile:

Likes Buffu

1. What is the relationship between the height of the rise and the object attached to the spring?

The height of the rise is directly proportional to the object attached to the spring. This means that as the object attached to the spring increases in weight or mass, the height of the rise will also increase.

2. Does the height of the rise change if the spring is stretched or compressed?

Yes, the height of the rise will change depending on whether the spring is stretched or compressed. When the spring is stretched, the height of the rise will increase, and when the spring is compressed, the height of the rise will decrease.

3. How does the height of the rise relate to the spring constant?

The height of the rise is inversely proportional to the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the height of the rise will decrease, and vice versa.

4. Why does the height of the rise change when different objects are attached to the spring?

The height of the rise changes because different objects have different weights or masses, which affects the amount of force the spring can exert. The heavier the object, the more force the spring will exert, resulting in a higher height of the rise.

5. Can the height of the rise be calculated using a formula?

Yes, the height of the rise can be calculated using the formula h = (m*g)/k, where h is the height of the rise, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the spring constant. This formula is derived from Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.