Helicopter attacked with bows and arrows

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helicopter
In summary, a helicopter dropping food and water over the remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands has been attacked by tribesmen using bows and arrows. The tribesmen believe that the helicopter is a giant bird with wings on its head and a voice like pounding waves, and they think that shooting arrows at the helicopter will kill it. However, the helicopter is actually a sophisticated aircraft and the tribesmen's bows and arrows are ineffective against it. The last cavalry charge in World War I was successful because the Japanese had never seen a horse charge and the Americans used barbed wire to disadvantage the horses.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An Indian helicopter dropping food and water over the remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands has been attacked by tribesmen using bows and arrows. [continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4144405.stm

This reminds me of some rare WWI film footage that shows the calvary charging on their horses, right along side the first tanks - a unique and brief moment in history, and certainly funny looking from our point of view. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol that's pretty funny.

What makes them think it would have worked?

The crows.

dekoi said:
Lol that's pretty funny.

What makes them think it would have worked?
These are primitive tribes that have had little or no contact with the outside world, they have no idea what a helicopter is. They've never seen one.

I wonder if the villagers who didn't see it believe the stories about the giant bird with wings on its head, and a voice like pounding waves. :biggrin:

Oh wow. I wasn't aknowledged that these tribes are primitive. Uh oh, i should've read more carefully.

Bows and arrows? Now that's my kind of weapon!

Helicopter attacked...with bows and arrows!
I nearly had that giant grasshopper! Unfortunately it flew off while I was grabbing for my trusty bean-flip.

Ivan Seeking said:
I wonder if the villagers who didn't see it believe the stories about the giant bird with wings on its head, and a voice like pounding waves. :biggrin:
Uh, nobody threw a coke bottle out the window, did they? :rofl: :rofl:

If someone did, The Gods Must Be Crazy!

Tsu said:
Uh, nobody threw a coke bottle out the window, did they? :rofl: :rofl:

It may have been Pepsi

Ivan Seeking said:
If someone did, The Gods Must Be Crazy!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... :biggrin:

Chrono said:
It may have been Pepsi
I'm pretty sure they said it was a Diet Pepsi

Wow...it took PF five messages to decide that a diet pepsi could have been thrown out a window. The forum's kinda weird sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, that's kinda funny, I wonder if any of them shot straight up?

I think its really funny how the tribes are trying to kill this giant metal bird, and the writer basically just says "Them trying to kill us is a good sign they're alive! thumbs up!"...it just makes the effort seem so futile.

Did you know...

This reminds me of some rare WWI film footage that shows the calvary charging on their horses, right along side the first tanks - a unique and brief moment in history, and certainly funny looking from our point of view.

FYI...

The last US cavalry (not
calvary
... that's a biblical location... pet-peeve) horse charge happened in the weeks after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It happened in the Philippines and was... get this... SUCCESSFUL! A platoon of mounted cavalry was on a scouting mission when they came across a Japanese occupied village. Without hesitating the commander ordered a line formation and a PISTOL charge. The platoon went galloping into the village with their Colt 1911 automatic pistols blazing and thoroughly trounced the Japanese.

However, in the ultimate bit of irony, in the following weeks, when it was certain the Japanese were going to overrun the US forces in the area, the horses that took part in the last cavalry charge were butchered and fed to the starving troops.

Bon appetit.

Cheers...

LunchBox said:
However, in the ultimate bit of irony, in the following weeks, when it was certain the Japanese were going to overrun the US forces in the area, the horses that took part in the last cavalry charge were butchered and fed to the starving troops.

Bon appetit.

Cheers...
Again ironically, this note was from a guy called "LunchBox."
:smile:

Cavalry was indeed used in ww1, but met with limited success, mainly due to the invention of barbed wire. Bare horse legs fared poorly against this new and scratchy foe.

Cavalry was indeed used in ww1, but met with limited success, mainly due to the invention of barbed wire. Bare horse legs fared poorly against this new and scratchy foe.

Barbed wire had a part to play in the decline of the horse soldier, but historians agree two of the main reasons were...

1) Repeating firearms - these increased the fire rate of infantry from a few rounds per minute with the muzzle- and breach-loading rifles to a few dozen rounds per minute with revolver- carbine- and magazine-fed rifles, meaning infantry could dismount or kill many more cavalry soldiers before the horses could close the distance.

2) Machine guns - the very large target presented by a horse and rider was near impossible to miss when spewing out hundreds of rounds per minute.

Cheers...

Evo said:
These are primitive tribes that have had little or no contact with the outside world, they have no idea what a helicopter is. They've never seen one.

That could be why it happened.

However, in my mind, I'm seeing one point his bow up, lean over to another and say - in another language -

"Bet this makes the evening news."

Locrian said:
That could be why it happened.

However, in my mind, I'm seeing one point his bow up, lean over to another and say - in another language -

"Bet this makes the evening news."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's probably true! Then they put down their bows and arrows and broke out the video games.

One comment about the film footage cited: I remembered that we see horses charging along side tanks, with a bi-plane above, all in one scene. Incredible!

Smurf said:
I'm pretty sure they said it was a Diet Pepsi

Of course, it has to be diet. At least it wasn't caffeine free.

1. What is the likelihood of a helicopter being attacked with bows and arrows?

The likelihood of a helicopter being attacked with bows and arrows is extremely low. Helicopters are typically used in military and emergency situations, and are equipped with advanced technology and weapons to defend against such attacks.

2. Has there ever been a recorded instance of a helicopter being attacked with bows and arrows?

Yes, there have been rare instances where helicopters have been attacked with bows and arrows. These attacks are usually carried out by guerrilla or rebel groups in conflict zones, where they lack access to more advanced weapons.

3. How much damage can a bow and arrow actually do to a helicopter?

The damage caused by a bow and arrow to a helicopter would depend on the type of arrow used and the location of the attack. In most cases, the arrows would not be able to penetrate the helicopter's body or engine, but could potentially cause minor damage to external components.

4. What measures can be taken to protect helicopters from bow and arrow attacks?

Helicopters can be equipped with anti-missile defense systems and other advanced technologies to detect and defend against attacks, including those from bows and arrows. In addition, avoiding flying over conflict zones and maintaining a high altitude can also reduce the risk of these attacks.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions on the use of bows and arrows near areas with high helicopter activity?

In most countries, there are regulations and restrictions on the use of bows and arrows near areas with high helicopter activity. These regulations are in place to ensure the safety of both the helicopters and those using bows and arrows for recreational or hunting purposes.

Back