Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Helicopter rotor blade stress calculations

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    Heyhey,

I am currently doing my final year masters project which involves testing rotor blades. I am performing a stress analysis of the blades. I will be using FEA software, but I also need to do some hand calculations. I have been looking for formulas for a while now, but I am unsure which to use and how exactly I should model it.

I was thinking I could model it as a simple cantilever, but obviously this wouldn't account for the rotation. Could anyone please help me? It would be much appreciated.

Regards

Marty

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you make the assumption that you are staying in the linear realm, you can use superposition.

EDIT: WOO HOO! Number 5000!

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    Chapter 9 of Johnson's book "Helicopter Theory" covers the dynamics of rotor blades and the dynamic loads that exist in a rotor blade. Stress calculations get more complicated if you're using a laminated composite, in which case you may need to read up on lamination theory.

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4
    Thanks for your help, I'll have a look into that

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook